Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Cable connector becomes super hot to touch

Hello,

I have an iPhone cable, it's looking a bit old, as the white cover around the iPhone connector has slowly slipped down, when I insert it into my iPhone it really becomes super hot to touch. I wasn't sure at first whether I was receiving an electric shock or a heat burn.

How long are the charging cables supposed to last, and are they meant to stop working in such a way, particularly after the basic support period has expired for the iPhone ?

I am concerned about causing a fire by continuing to use it to charge my iPhone (XR), if a Fire did arise would Apple be liable - given their safety proclamations is there a way that they will replace it for free ?

Any thoughts ?

iPhone XR, iOS 16

Posted on Nov 19, 2022 9:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2022 2:41 PM

Good point - I tried another power block, and the same happened again, so I think it's most definitely the cable. The heat occurs amongst the exposed wires shortly after the connector, where a break in the plastic shive has occurred, and I believe its got something to do with the internal wiring making contact with the metallic shielding.. And yes, I won't be using it again... don't really wish to burn my house down...

However the original question is, does Apple have a replacement policy for such cables - or is that also time limited ?

I suspect the latter case, and yet again, I'm going to have to spend another 20 $ on another power cable for my i* device. I have previously experienced on numerous occasions cable failure to the point that the devices don't charge with my other i* devices, but this time, the cable gets super hot... so that in itself is troubling. I'm wondering if anyone else experienced the same issue - and will Apple replace the cable for free - or do I simply have to buy yet another new one.... then, what's the expected lifetime for such cables ... ?

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2022 2:41 PM in response to Rudegar

Good point - I tried another power block, and the same happened again, so I think it's most definitely the cable. The heat occurs amongst the exposed wires shortly after the connector, where a break in the plastic shive has occurred, and I believe its got something to do with the internal wiring making contact with the metallic shielding.. And yes, I won't be using it again... don't really wish to burn my house down...

However the original question is, does Apple have a replacement policy for such cables - or is that also time limited ?

I suspect the latter case, and yet again, I'm going to have to spend another 20 $ on another power cable for my i* device. I have previously experienced on numerous occasions cable failure to the point that the devices don't charge with my other i* devices, but this time, the cable gets super hot... so that in itself is troubling. I'm wondering if anyone else experienced the same issue - and will Apple replace the cable for free - or do I simply have to buy yet another new one.... then, what's the expected lifetime for such cables ... ?

Nov 21, 2022 6:41 AM in response to svaardt

svaardt wrote:

Yes, one year.

I'm wondering if anyone else experienced the same issue - and will Apple replace the cable for free - or do I simply have to buy yet another new one.... then, what's the expected lifetime for such cables ... ?

Out of the hundreds of millions of iPhone users, I would be that some have had the same problem. If the cable is more than a year old, you'd need to buy a new one.

It's possible that, if you go to your local Apple Store or your carrier's local store and ask very nicely, someone might just give you a new cable. When I used to work for Verizon, I had some discretion to pull unused cables from returns for this sort of situation. But, be willing to buy a new one.

I would replace the cable as soon as possible. Continuing to use a defective one means a risk of damaging the phone and setting things on fire.

iPhone Cable connector becomes super hot to touch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.