Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music Android no longer casts to Google Home Devices

I have set Apple Music up as my default music provider on my Google Home. Up until recently, everything worked fine but then I couldn't get any music to play by either voice command or casting.

I removed Apple Music from my home and re-linked and set to default music provider again. This enabled me to be able to use voice commands to play music again but I am still unable to cast from my phone. I click the cast button, select the speaker, it beeps and then.. nothing!

I've just confirmed that I am able to cast Spotify and Google Podcasts with no issues, so the problem is limited to Apple Music only. Please don't make me switch back to Spotify!

Posted on Nov 19, 2022 8:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2022 7:21 PM

It's surprising that you keep suggesting I go to Google support when I've previously mentioned:

1. I used to be able to cast successfully and the functionality stopped working with Apple music
  2. I'm able to cast successfully with different apps.

It seems like you only read the title of my first post and not the detail I'd included.

The good news is, I uninstalled Apple Music and reinstalled and that fixed whatever went wrong with the Apple Music app. I just wish someone had suggested that to me sooner instead of blaming Google for what was clearly an issue with the Apple Music app.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2022 7:21 PM in response to Matthew.S81

It's surprising that you keep suggesting I go to Google support when I've previously mentioned:

1. I used to be able to cast successfully and the functionality stopped working with Apple music
  2. I'm able to cast successfully with different apps.

It seems like you only read the title of my first post and not the detail I'd included.

The good news is, I uninstalled Apple Music and reinstalled and that fixed whatever went wrong with the Apple Music app. I just wish someone had suggested that to me sooner instead of blaming Google for what was clearly an issue with the Apple Music app.

Nov 27, 2022 11:24 AM in response to jkcdn

Hey jkcdn, thanks for getting back to us here in Communities.

Are you using this method to cast? Use Apple Music with your Android devices - Apple Support

"Stream music from Apple Music to your Chromecast device

1. Make sure that your Android device and Chromecast device are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
  2. Open the Apple Music app.
  3. At the top of your screen, tap the Cast button .
  4. Tap your Chromecast device.
  5. Play music.

If you need help with your Chromecast, visit Google Support.

Not all content types in Apple Music support Casting, and not all Chromecast devices are supported."

Make sure all steps are followed here from Google for using cast: https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/7181830?co=GENIE.Platform%3DiOS&oco=0

"Step 1. Cast from Chromecast-enabled apps to speaker or display

1. Make sure your mobile device or tablet is connected to the same Wi-Fi network or linked to the same account as your speaker or display.
  2. Open a Chromecast-enabled app.
  3. Tap the Cast icon .
  4. Touch and hold the tile of the speaker or display you'd like to cast to.
  5. When you're connected, the Cast icon will turn from light to dark gray, and will let you know you're connected.
  6. You can now cast audio and video to your speaker or display from your device.
  7. To stop casting, at the top of your device's screen, tap the Cast icon . In the box that appears, tap Stop Casting.

Note: Some music providers, like Spotify, require a subscription to play music from its Chromecast-enabled app. Also, YouTube content is only supported from the YouTube Music app (not the YouTube app), and you must have a YouTube Premium account. YouTube Music is only available in the US and Australia.

As mentioned previously, if you need further help contact: Google Support

Best regards.

Nov 21, 2022 3:36 PM in response to jkcdn

Hey jkcdn,

Sounds like you need help casting Apple Music to your Google Home device. We'd be happy to help out.

While you may have completed some of or all of these steps already, we want to make sure you have all the steps needed to set things up properly:

Here's what you need
A subscription to Apple Music
• A Google Nest speaker or display
• An iPhone, iPad, or Android device that’s signed in to the Google Home app with the Google account that’s linked to your Nest device
Set up Apple Music on your Google Nest device
1. On your iPhone, iPad, or Android device, open the Google Home app.
2. Tap Settings.
3. Tap Music.
4. Under "More music services," tap the Link icon  next to Apple Music.
5. Tap Link Account.
6. Sign in with the Apple ID that you use with Apple Music and follow the onscreen steps to complete setup.

Set Apple Music as your default music service
If you donʼt want to say "on Apple Music" each time you ask Google to play something, you can make Apple Music your default music service.
2. Tap Settings.
3. Tap Music.
4. Under "Your music services," select Apple Music.
Unlink Apple Music from your Nest device
2. Tap Settings.
3. Tap Music.
4. Under Apple Music, tap Unlink. If Apple Music is set as your default music service, select another music service as your default, or select "No default." Then tap Unlink under Apple Music.

All this information and more is available here: Play Apple Music on your Google Nest speaker or display - Apple Support

If you continue to have issues after completing these steps you'll need to get in contact with Google support using the following link for further assistance: Google Support

We hope this helps out.

Take care!

Apple Music Android no longer casts to Google Home Devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.