Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my ipad screen is damaged and i can't select "trust this computer".

I am currently trying to retrieve the data off my mother's ipad as the screen appears to be damaged.

I the ipad is seen by the computer and wants me to hit the "trust this computer" option, but i am unable to do so.

Is there a magic fix to get around this?

iPad 2, iOS 9

Posted on Nov 19, 2022 5:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2022 5:48 PM

Unfortunately, the case is that a backup always needs to be made and kept up to date before something happens that makes it impossible to backup. With luck, the display can be repaired without affecting the device and its current data. But, there is no guarantee of that.

But if that device has an unresponsive screen now, there is no way to manually back it up now.

For future reference, enabling iCloud automatic backups will mean that a backup gets updated every 24 hours if the device is plugged while connected to WiFi to charge at least once every day. So at most one would lose only the very most recent changes.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2022 5:48 PM in response to Bob_kbobtail

Unfortunately, the case is that a backup always needs to be made and kept up to date before something happens that makes it impossible to backup. With luck, the display can be repaired without affecting the device and its current data. But, there is no guarantee of that.

But if that device has an unresponsive screen now, there is no way to manually back it up now.

For future reference, enabling iCloud automatic backups will mean that a backup gets updated every 24 hours if the device is plugged while connected to WiFi to charge at least once every day. So at most one would lose only the very most recent changes.

my ipad screen is damaged and i can't select "trust this computer".

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.