Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Troubles with Vimeo on Safari

My Vimeo movie (created for submission to an online forum) plays perfectly in Safari when I enter the direct Vimeo URL. But when I try to access it via the link posted on the forum, it can only be opened in Firefox. The link fails on Safari 16.1 on my Macbook Pro M1, my iPhone 13 Pro and my iPad Pro - yet it works fine on my sister's Macbook Air M1 with Safari 16.1.

Any ideas as to what is going on?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Nov 19, 2022 5:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2022 6:53 PM

Hi nathan430

After exhausting other possibilities, I also suspect that the fault may lie there. I'll try reaching out but I'm not expecting much help: the site has recently changed ownership and moderators/administrators seem to have disappeared.

Thank you for your helpful suggestion.

7 replies

Nov 22, 2022 8:26 AM in response to MarieJ1

Hey MariJ1,

Thanks for sharing those details. It sounds like you've attempted to isolate the issue, but it's tricky. It seems to work on your Mac from another browser, indicating the issue could be with Safari, however it works with Safari on another person's Mac.

Since the issue may still be with Safari, that site, and your personal Mac, let's check for any updates to macOS, which would also include any applicable Safari updates: Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support

Let us know if the issue continues. Test a couple of other sites, if possible, so we can compare the behavior.

Take care.

Nov 26, 2022 5:27 PM in response to danakayw

Hi Danakayw - my apologies for a slow reply. I had already updated Safari - I'm on 16.1 - but I'm still using Monterey 12.6.1.

I tried all of the other links posted on the same day on that forum (YouTube and Google Drive etc). All worked as expected. The problem only occurs with Vimeo/Safari. I've also tried to access the Vimeo link posted by another user on that same forum 18 months ago, and while Firefox was successful, again Safari couldn't open it.

Thank you in advance for any other suggestions.

Nov 27, 2022 5:55 PM in response to jeffd55

Hi jeffd55

Thank you for your suggestions. I followed all of the points in that article - the forum page opens with no trouble but the embedded LINK to my video has always been the problem. Safari says it "can't open the page because the server where this page is located isn’t responding”. Safari opens my Vimeo video only when I enter the URL directly.

I don't have any add-ons: extensions, VPN, proxy server, custom DNS server etc. In fact Safari is pristine, because I've barely used it. It is up-to-date, and emptying history/cookies makes no difference.

Looks like I'll have to stick to Firefox on my Mac - but I'm disappointed because Safari is the only browser on my iPhone.

Nov 27, 2022 6:08 PM in response to MarieJ1

MarieJ1,

It's definitely possible that when you're sending the link to the online forum, that it is being edited in some way by the forums content management system that results in the link not opening as expected. This would explain why you can enter it directly but after inputting it into the forum, it ceases to work as expected.

To determine if that might be the case, you can always reach out to the website administrators or forum moderators to see if they can share some more information with you.

We hope that this information is helpful.

​Have a great day!

Troubles with Vimeo on Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.