Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WiFi connection cut in standby

Hi, I have an iPhone 14 pro max. Randomly the phone cut the WiFi connection and do not receive notification like whatapp mail etc....

The phone do not loose the connection with the router but seems to go sleeping for some time when the screen is off. When the phone wakes up from sleeping in few minutes all the notifications come together.

This happen randomly and is rare.

Is not a problem router side because I try with many different routers.

( I'm not using always on display) Power save option disabled.

Is not a problem of settings.

The firm is iOS 16.1.1.

Is it a bug?

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Nov 20, 2022 4:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2022 4:51 PM

Iomeio wrote:

Hi, I have an iPhone 14 pro max. Randomly the phone cut the WiFi connection and do not receive notification like whatapp mail etc....
The phone do not loose the connection with the router but seems to go sleeping for some time when the screen is off. When the phone wakes up from sleeping in few minutes all the notifications come together.
The firm is iOS 16.1.1.

Is it a bug?

No, it’s a feature. All iPhones from the beginning of iPhone time 15 years ago disconnect from Wi-Fi 30 seconds after the phone screen locks, to preserve battery energy, unless the phone is connected to power. This is done because a Wi-Fi connection uses power continuously, whether data are transferring or not. Cellular connections use more energy, but only when actually sending data. There are a few exceptions:

• If you are streaming audio or video Wi-Fi will stay on
  • If you receive a notification Wi-Fi will reconnect for a few seconds to process the notification
  • And, I think (but I’m not sure) if an app uses Background App Refresh it can wake and use Wi-Fi; however very few apps actually do this
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2022 4:51 PM in response to Iomeio

Iomeio wrote:

The firm is iOS 16.1.1.

Is it a bug?

No, it’s a feature. All iPhones from the beginning of iPhone time 15 years ago disconnect from Wi-Fi 30 seconds after the phone screen locks, to preserve battery energy, unless the phone is connected to power. This is done because a Wi-Fi connection uses power continuously, whether data are transferring or not. Cellular connections use more energy, but only when actually sending data. There are a few exceptions:

• If you are streaming audio or video Wi-Fi will stay on
  • If you receive a notification Wi-Fi will reconnect for a few seconds to process the notification
  • And, I think (but I’m not sure) if an app uses Background App Refresh it can wake and use Wi-Fi; however very few apps actually do this

Nov 20, 2022 5:10 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thx for the reply!

I agree with you on the function of the iPhone. But why randomly when there is a notification to display like mail or even a call via WhatsApp the iPhone do not wake up?

In this way you miss also phone calls if in WiFi...

Seems that the phone do not wake up as soon as the router has a package of data to deliver....

Generally is the router that control the sleep time of the client through the "dtim interval". Or I'm saying something wrong?

Nov 20, 2022 5:15 PM in response to Iomeio

If you have notifications enabled for WhatsApp it should reconnect to Wi-Fi, but WhatsApp is a strange app in many ways. The router does not control the sleep time. It is the phone that disconnects 30 seconds after the screen sleeps.

You can experiment with this yourself using your computer. Open Terminal on a Mac, or CMD on Windows. Go to Settings/Wi-Fi, tap on the i next to your network name and write down the phone’s IP address.

Windows: Enter the command “ping -t the IP address you wrote down"

Mac: Enter the command “ping the IP address you wrote down"

To stop the display use CTRL+C

Nov 21, 2022 12:14 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

In fact I can't ping the ip of iPhone when the screen is off.

I'm trying to understand why when it goes to sleep randomly do not wake up when it should...

I'm talking about WhatsApp's but this happend with any notification app that has notification coming from internet...

So I'm trying to understand if my phone is fault or there is a bug...

I have to try if this happend also with always on display enabled

I will let you know

WiFi connection cut in standby

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.