Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why Did Apple Create iMovie When There is no Way to Add Video?

I am using Ventura on my MacBook Air. I opened up iMovie. Under libraries I can see Photos. I dragged a movie clip from Photos to the Time line and it only shows a still image when I play it. But the music track below it plays. Is iMovie not editing video? What am I missing?

Posted on Nov 21, 2022 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2022 8:07 AM

Hi, flashkube2,

Failure to import the video portion could be caused by a corrupt preference. Try deleting/resetting preferences.

To delete/reset preferences open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if you video-audio clip will import the video part as well as the audio part. Possibly you may need to reboot to set the changes.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

You can also try creating a new project and importing your clip into to new project to see if it works there.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2022 8:07 AM in response to flashkube2

Hi, flashkube2,

Failure to import the video portion could be caused by a corrupt preference. Try deleting/resetting preferences.

To delete/reset preferences open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if you video-audio clip will import the video part as well as the audio part. Possibly you may need to reboot to set the changes.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

You can also try creating a new project and importing your clip into to new project to see if it works there.

-- Rich

Why Did Apple Create iMovie When There is no Way to Add Video?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.