Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 14 Pro Max autofocus issue on close objects

The cameras are working fine on the main camera app but the iPhone 14 Pro Max is unable to do autofocus on close objects on all the third-party apps like Snapchat, Instagram, and WhatsApp. I've updated my iOS to the latest 16.1.1 but the issue is not yet fixed. Can anybody help me with this matter?

iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Nov 21, 2022 10:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2022 6:08 AM

I tried all the above-mentioned solutions including cleaning the camera lenses, restarting the iPhone, force closing the third-party apps, and opening them again but still the camera on my iPhone is unable to autofocus on the close objects. I even tried turning off and ON the macro control option in the camera settings but that didn't work either. If only one of the third-party app was having issue with the autofocus then I could say that this problem might be from their end but unfortunately, all the third-party apps that use camera are facing the same autofocus problem on close objects, EVEN THE FaceTime as well.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2022 6:08 AM in response to Todd0213

I tried all the above-mentioned solutions including cleaning the camera lenses, restarting the iPhone, force closing the third-party apps, and opening them again but still the camera on my iPhone is unable to autofocus on the close objects. I even tried turning off and ON the macro control option in the camera settings but that didn't work either. If only one of the third-party app was having issue with the autofocus then I could say that this problem might be from their end but unfortunately, all the third-party apps that use camera are facing the same autofocus problem on close objects, EVEN THE FaceTime as well.

Nov 23, 2022 10:50 AM in response to hassaniqbal40

Hello hassaniqbal40,

Ensuring the camera focuses in all apps is important. While the camera is working as expected in the Camera app, the steps listed below can be helpful in resolving the issue you're facing in third-party apps. You can also find these steps outlined in the following article.

1. "If the photo is blurry, clean the front and back camera lenses with a microfibre cloth. If you see dirt or debris inside the lens or if the camera lens appears to be misaligned or blocked, contact Apple Support to discuss service options.
  2. Restart your iPhoneiPad or iPod touch
  3. Test the camera again by taking a photo. If your device has a front and a rear camera, check if one or both aren’t working. To switch cameras, tap the rotate button ."

If the camera or flash on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch aren't working

In addition to those steps, troubleshooting the third-party apps as well can be helpful. While the title of the following article references app quitting or closing unexpectedly, these steps can resolve many other app related issues. Complete these steps as well, and let us know how that goes.

If an app on your iPhone or iPad stops responding, closes unexpectedly, or won’t open

Have a great day!

iPhone 14 Pro Max autofocus issue on close objects

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.