Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

eMac faxing with 10.5.8 Leopard

With the price of faxing using server via email going up, I dusted off my old eMac. It booted up fine. Has a fax modem inside. But there's no details on how to send a fax in the manual (and haven't found anything on the Internet, since it's about 20 years old).

I can put a fax number in the screen, but the detailed steps then are not given.

Suggestion?

eMac

Posted on Nov 21, 2022 5:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2022 4:10 PM

Hi,

An article (four pages) at https://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=352321 about faxing in Mac OS X 10.3 Panther could possibly be of at least some interest in this case, even if things are different in Mac OS X 10.5.8 Leopard. Also, check whether the Mac OS X 10.5 help system has any useful information.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 22, 2022 4:10 PM in response to george b

Hi,

An article (four pages) at https://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=352321 about faxing in Mac OS X 10.3 Panther could possibly be of at least some interest in this case, even if things are different in Mac OS X 10.5.8 Leopard. Also, check whether the Mac OS X 10.5 help system has any useful information.

Nov 23, 2022 4:59 PM in response to george b

Thanks Jan. The article has ALL the steps needed. Confirmed that it works by sending a fax this afternoon.

Apple Support simply suggested using one of the commercial 'email-to-fax' servers, or a multifunction printer/fax. The reason I dusted off the old eMac: the service i had been using had a $1 per month + 10 cents per minute of sent faxes. But faxaway is not in business any more -- the replacement, and other fax services, charge about $15 per month, that's $180 per year - a bit much for an 87-year old retiree.

Apple Macs, with their new M System on a Chip, likely has more than enough power to do the modem function, and the Mac would only need a dongle to connect the USB C port to an RJ-11 socket.

eMac faxing with 10.5.8 Leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.