Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot extend desktop / no arrangement option under settings

I want to use an extended desktop with an external monitor. I have iPadOS 16.1.1 and an iPad Air 5th gen with M1 chip.

I purchased a USB-C to HDMI 4K cable, plugged it in, saw a blue icon in the top right appear and a few seconds later my display was mirrored. It doesn’t fully fill the display.

I can see the 2nd display correctly identified under Display and Brightness > Connected Displays … but no “Arrangement” tab I’ve read about. I have stage manager turned on.

I’d appreciate any help as I understand extended desktop should work with my setup. Thank-you.

iPad Air, iPadOS 16

Posted on Nov 22, 2022 1:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2022 1:51 AM

Basic screen mirroring should be available to an external TV or connected monitor with iPadOS 16.1. However, Stage Manager support for external monitors is not yet available - this feature being planned for release later this year.

Be patient. It’s coming 🙂

iPadOS 16 - Apple

Similar questions

3 replies

Nov 23, 2022 2:35 AM in response to Mark_Melbourne

Stage Manager support for external monitors (i.e., the “extended desktop to which you refer) is not yet available - this feature being planned for release later this year.

Video’s that you may see will be using pre-release beta software - not production software.

iPadOS 16.1.x provides initial Stage Manager windowing/multitasking for supported models, but at this time only supports screen-mirroring to an external monitor. The next feature release (iPadOS 16.2.x?) might introduce Stage Manger’s extended desktop.

Cannot extend desktop / no arrangement option under settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.