Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

KVM for 2 macmini

Hello, I'm looking for a ligtening connection KVM switch for a 32bit mac mini and a 64bit mac mini; of course I want to use the logitech solar keyboard and mouse; I have an apple display. I also have an old mac air that I use when traveling. Would be nice to add to the switch but not necessary.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

xena_r

Mac mini, OS X 10.11

Posted on Nov 22, 2022 8:00 AM

7 replies

Nov 22, 2022 4:05 PM in response to pedalmegone

Ok… thx, that’s a little clearer… the m1 macmini ( 64 bit) model number I could find at everymac.com, the Minimac (32 bit) model number you mentioned… nope… and yes, I sure had a strong cup of Joe which helps( and lunch, etc) … right then, time to approach things from another direction, and if necessary, bring out “the holy hand grenade”… I am posting a picture of pretty much all video output ports… so… you should have two on the right hand side, bottom… does your Apple display have one of those , or one in the middle ? Hopefully not the ones on the left as those are historical… about the only one you don’t see on this chart would be ADC ( apple display connector) but that’s ancient history… here’s what you need to know for connecting 2 macmini’s to an apple display which might be original thunderbolt, maybe… original Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 are considered legacy connections… nobody makes Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 stuff anymore, let alone KVM’s…it’s all Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C stuff ( plus hdmi) the way to get around that is to use a Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt 3 adapter, which Apple ( and others ) will happily sell you.. see link :

Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple (CA)

note also in that link something about it not supporting DisplayPort or miniDisplayPort Displays…

it does support Thunderbolt displays, but you’d have to plug a power source into the adapter… it’ll also work in reverse.. as well..

so I’m guessing you’d need 2 of them… one for Intel Mac mini and one for the Thunderbolt ( Apple) display….

here’s a link to Thunderbolt 3 KVM’s

https://www.kvm-switches-online.com/thunderbolt-kvm-switch.html

Clear as mud, right ?

john b

Nov 23, 2022 11:30 AM in response to pedalmegone

Yup, pedalmegone, you nailed it… the screenshot you gave me did the trick… of course, having the correct model number or going to “about this Mac” under the large Apple icon at the top left of your screen, assuming your Mac is working, sure helps me ( and us) to help you.. that’s definitely original Thunderbolt/Thunderbolt 2 in the screenshot there.. so, thanks for that… so, as to where I live, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada… I suppose you can send me a virtual cuppa at Starbucks, or the thought of one, and that’ll be OK by me… hope the info I gave you helped you out somewhat, and it was nice chatting with you

wishing you a good day

John B

oh, and two last very basic things.., when you connect/disconnect or change any Thunderbolt connections, or anything else, make sure your Mac(s) and monitor are turned off beforehand… if you get into trouble on your older Mac mini you can reset the smc/pmu and zap pram 3 times on startup, that usually fixes any little problems, should you need to… you can use google, yahoo or apple’s own support page to find out “how-to”.. it’s easy to do and free…

john b

Nov 24, 2022 1:10 AM in response to Johnb-one

Well, no wonder, up there in the far north! A virtual couple of cuppas to you! I'm an American retired in France. Tomorrow I leave for a week to London; I'll go into Apple with pictures of everything and see what they say. But here's my understanding so far. Picture is explained:

But please let me know if I've got this right. So if I got the 3-port USB-C DisplayPort hybird KVMP Switch (the first one in your link), I would need the following: (My keyboard connects to the display via Bluetooth. My logi mouse can connect to three computers via blue tooth. I just have to change numbers on the mouse.

1. Use current Thunderbolt 3 USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 adapter to go from display to the KVMP Switch. (picture attached). (it goes from my display to the 64-bit)
  2. Buy 1 Thunderbolt 3 to 2 to go from Macmini 32 bit to KVMP Switch.
  3. Thunderbolt 3 to 3 cable for Switch to macmini 64 bit to connect 64-bit.
  4. Pay a fortune for the USB-C KVM switches.

1. Now, here's my further confusion ; these switches seem to have HDMI connections, not thunderbolt. So would the cables really need to be HDMI to Thunderbolt3 ?

Nov 23, 2022 2:25 AM in response to Johnb-one

Hello john b:

Oh dear, I gave you the WRONG NUMBER (I gave you the EMC no, whatever that is) of the 32 bit: It is A1347. So sorry!

Who are you that helps people so much ?? Thank you! b ut yes, clear as mud, but I'm getting there. I attach a pic of the back of the display; it has a thunderbolt connection and a couple others. I'm also copying and pasting the info from the mac 64 report on the display below. And perhaps next I can fire up the 32 bit and see if there's info about it's port. Would that be good?

Where do you live : can I buy you a cuppa at Starbucks somehow?

Apple M1:

Chipset Model: Apple M1

Type: GPU

Bus: Built-In

Total Number of Cores: 8

Vendor: Apple (0x106b)

Metal Family: Supported, Metal GPUFamily Apple 7

Displays:

Thunderbolt Display:

Resolution: 2560 x 1440 (QHD/WQHD - Wide Quad High Definition)

UI Looks like: 2560 x 1440 @ 60.00Hz

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Automatically Adjust Brightness: Yes

Nov 22, 2022 11:50 AM in response to pedalmegone

Hi, pedalmegone (xena_r)

that's a tough one.... are you sure you have a lightning connection ? as far as I know (which isn't much) Lightning is used for iPhones, Magic Mice, Apple Pencil, iPads and Powerbeats pro headphone/airpods (for the charging cases) ...i have never seen a Mac with a built in Lightning port on it..... maybe you mean USB-C /Thunderbolt 3 ??? That your 64 bit mac mini probably has.... your logitech solar keyboard and mouse shouldn't be a huge problem.... probably uses USB 2.0/usb 3 with a "unifying reciever" plug in dongle.... could you tell us, possibly, what years/model numbers you have for your 32bit mac mini and 64 bit one ? Apple did make quite a number of them both, and that'll help us to sorta help you... the model number should be on the outside(s) of your Mac minis and should start with "A" and then 4 numbers.....

I think I'm kinda "gone" already

I know I'm going for a good cup of strong coffee PDQ

john B

Nov 22, 2022 1:12 PM in response to Johnb-one

you're right; I'm confusing the lightening bolt on the connection from the screen to the macminis which has a lighteningbolt as it's icon which is actually a thunderbolt. Ah me..... It's certainly not the same as the connection to the iphone. So both are connected via lightening bolt to the Apple screen.

Minimac 32bit model no A2840; Macmini 64bit is model No A2348. Thanks so much!

pedalmegone!

haha hope you had a strong cup of Joe.

Nov 24, 2022 10:22 AM in response to pedalmegone

Hmmm… yes… perhaps…

check out this link : https://www.ssi.com.tw/product/docking-station/tbt4-kvm-dock… maybe they’ll sell you one…

the only problem I can see in the first link I sent you is that the first one ( the Aten KVM ) sorta almost does everything you need it to do, but not quite, and it’s the cheapest, the next one up is way more expensive… around $750 plus shipping and tax…

john b

KVM for 2 macmini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.