Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a iPhone XR with iOS 16.11. I want to turn off crash detection but don't see a way to do that in the Emergency SOS app. What do I do to turn this off. It keeps calling 911 when I trail ride.

I have a iPhone XR with iOS 16.11. I want to turn off crash detection but don't see a way to do that in the Emergency SOS app. What do I do to turn this off. It keeps calling 911 when I trail ride.

Posted on Nov 22, 2022 10:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2022 10:23 AM

Crash detection is not supported on an iPhone XR. It's only available on iPhone 14 models at this time as explained in the support document you posted from. So nothing to turn off.

Whatever is calling 911 is not Crash detection.

Are you sure it's calling 911? It may simply be losing network connection, and only offering to call 911 because it cannot make any other type of call when out of your network provider coverage.

What exactly are you seeing?

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 22, 2022 10:23 AM in response to MK2456

Crash detection is not supported on an iPhone XR. It's only available on iPhone 14 models at this time as explained in the support document you posted from. So nothing to turn off.

Whatever is calling 911 is not Crash detection.

Are you sure it's calling 911? It may simply be losing network connection, and only offering to call 911 because it cannot make any other type of call when out of your network provider coverage.

What exactly are you seeing?

Nov 22, 2022 11:05 AM in response to MK2456

What does the screen look like exactly?

Do you have a red phone icon at the bottom to end the call when you see the 911 screen? Or does it just say it's in 911 emergency?

Are you maybe pressing the power button 5 times inadvertently and is triggering the emergency call? If so, turn that option off, and it should. not initiate an emergency call anymore.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.