Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

News crashing on ipad

Why hasn’t apple fixed the news crashing issue on the iPad yet. I have tried fixing with everything I have read and nothing works. This doesn’t happen on iPhone, just the iPad!!! Very frustrating! Apple, you can’t; do better than this!!

iPad Pro, iPadOS 16

Posted on Nov 23, 2022 3:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2022 4:20 AM

Clearly you have a problem with the News App on your iPad. While there have been some reports of problems, for the majority of iPad Users the News App is working without issue under iPadOS 15.7.1/16.1.1.

Venting your frustration here to Apple is somewhat pointless… as Apple will not see your comments. Contributors here are all end-users, just like you. Apple neither monitor nor participate in this technical forum. Apple do invite submission of constructive comments, bug reports and feedback via its Product Feedback portal. For iPad and iPadOS:

Feedback - iPad - Apple

Returning to your problem, you provide no indication as to what “you have read” - or have attempted in resolving the problem. For single Apps that unexpectedly quit or crash, all that is usually required is to delete the offending App, then perform a forced-restart of the iPad, and finally reinstall the App:

If an app on your iPhone or iPad stops responding, closes unexpectedly, or won’t open - Apple Support

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2022 4:20 AM in response to DLADEM2

Clearly you have a problem with the News App on your iPad. While there have been some reports of problems, for the majority of iPad Users the News App is working without issue under iPadOS 15.7.1/16.1.1.

Venting your frustration here to Apple is somewhat pointless… as Apple will not see your comments. Contributors here are all end-users, just like you. Apple neither monitor nor participate in this technical forum. Apple do invite submission of constructive comments, bug reports and feedback via its Product Feedback portal. For iPad and iPadOS:

Feedback - iPad - Apple

Returning to your problem, you provide no indication as to what “you have read” - or have attempted in resolving the problem. For single Apps that unexpectedly quit or crash, all that is usually required is to delete the offending App, then perform a forced-restart of the iPad, and finally reinstall the App:

If an app on your iPhone or iPad stops responding, closes unexpectedly, or won’t open - Apple Support

Dec 16, 2022 4:12 AM in response to DLADEM2

I also have had the same problem with Apple News with my iPad 6. While you can’t easily revert to iOS 16.1, you could still have a chance to downgrade from iOS 16.1.2 to iOS 15. Those who may want to downgrade an iPhone or iPad may need to do so. This work for me. If need more info look up iPhone tricks website.

Also, read that if you deleted your Apple News history before closing the App could help.

Dec 16, 2022 4:28 AM in response to madrich

On Tuesday 13/12/22 Apple released iOS and iPad OS16.2.  Still suffering from the Apple News persistent crashes on my 9.7” iPad Pro (no issues with iPhone) I had nothing to loose so decided to update.  

** Working on my theory that as Apple News is supposedly packaged with the OS I first of all uninstalled the News app but did not reinstall.**

**I then installed iPad OS 16.2.  The process was faultless but Apple News did not install as part of the process so I accessed  it via the App Store.**

Again there is no indication of the version number as with other Apple packaged Apps.  I dually reinstalled the News app which was also faultless and on completion opened it.  It was slightly slow to load up but then worked without crashing.  This was without having my topics set up.  Having copied a list of my topics I then populated the  app with these half expecting the crashing problem to recur due to my extensive list but am pleased to report it is now working as before OS16.1xx

So I presume a fix is now in place either with the News App and/or the OS update.

Dec 20, 2022 3:14 AM in response to madrich

@madrich

FYI as requested -   after one week I can confirm that I haven’t had a single crash running Apple News on MY iPad Pro 9.7” since applying my fix.

Prior to my remedial action the Apple News app always used to crash occasionally but since OS16 this increased and with OS16.1.1 it crashed persistently and was totally unusable.

Many posts were suggesting the solution was to uninstall the app and then reinstall but this did not work for me.

My suggestion is to uninstall the News app first then install OS16.2.  As the OS update did not reinstall the News App I reinstalled it from the App Store - however in the absence of a version number and date it is not known whether this is an updated version or not!  However the combined installations have solved the problem for ME.)

Dec 21, 2022 5:30 AM in response to madrich

Interesting observation but having applied a working fix I can not duplicate this!  I do have a UK Supermarket app where it crashes in landscape mode for some actions on the iPad but is fine in portrait mode or on an iPhone. Expect better from Apple apps though.

The Jetsam Reports on the iPad suspiciously, as I reported previously in discussions for v16.1.1 still reference iPhone for the OS version and build even with the latest version:

….. “os_version":"iPhone OS 16.2 

"product" : "iPad6,3",

"build" : "iPhone OS 16.2 (20C65)",. !!!

News crashing on ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.