Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview stubborn - files often open as tabs in a previous window

Files often open as tabs in a previous window. but it's unpredictable.

Preview >Preferences = set to open each file in it's own window.

The function Window > move tab to new window is sometimes greyed out.

This is very frustrating and time-consuming.

Any solutions please?

Posted on Nov 23, 2022 11:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2022 10:33 AM

It has possibly been fixed without carrying out those steps.

I deleted all open documents in Preview and now it appears to work normally. I would have done that before but they were all mixed up in many different tabs. Normally I rename them and file them where needed. This time I put duplicates on the desktop (I didn't want to use their original location) and then closed them all.

Thanks, perhaps that will be sufficient.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2022 10:33 AM in response to BDAqua

It has possibly been fixed without carrying out those steps.

I deleted all open documents in Preview and now it appears to work normally. I would have done that before but they were all mixed up in many different tabs. Normally I rename them and file them where needed. This time I put duplicates on the desktop (I didn't want to use their original location) and then closed them all.

Thanks, perhaps that will be sufficient.

Nov 25, 2022 9:14 AM in response to ontravel

Good work, I think we may have narrowed it down my friend.

Quit Preview & move this folder & this fie to the Desktop for now...

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Preview/Data/Library/Saved Application State/com.apple.Preview.savedState

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Preview/Data/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Preview.plist

~ tilde indicates  your home folder

Apple hid the Users' Library folders...

Method 1:

1. From the Finder, select the Go menu at top of the screen, and choose Go to Folder.
  2. In the window that opens, enter ~/Library, and click Go.

Nov 23, 2022 1:31 PM in response to ontravel

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

To find out if it's system wide or user specific, try this...

Open System Preferences>Users & Groups, unlock the lock, click on the little plus icon, make a new admin account, log out & into the new account.

Does it work in the new account?

Nov 25, 2022 9:34 AM in response to BDAqua

That's interesting, but before I do it, the following note.

The computer was recently upgraded from El Capitan to High Sierra. For various reasons, but mostly to save time, whole directories, like Documents, Music, etc. were moved offline. This was done by a professional. However, I did wonder why there are 2 libraries, one under the home directory and one under the user directory.

The priority was to get applications working and this is a machine constantly in action.

Preview was an annoyance but so is Finder, which does not always shows files alphabetically. Both appear abnormal and to me it looks like an OS problem.

Preview stubborn - files often open as tabs in a previous window

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.