Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Split Apple Account with Wife While Keeping Game Saves and Images

Hi after initially setting up my ID for iTunes back in the days of the iPod then moving onto iPhones starting with the 3GS I moved away from Apple for my phone until recently switching back.

My wife had an iPhone in the meantime and is using my account for this (and has been for some years). During this time she has built up a lot of images and saved games for various apps.

Now that I have moved back to the iPhone we are getting a lot of cross messaging and other mix ups. Ideally I would like her to have her own account but she will kill me (not literally) if this legacy of saves, photos and messaging goes astray.

Is there a way to move her onto her own account without losing all of these things? To complicate things we also both have iPads and I also use a Mac Mini which is set up with my account.

iPhone XR, iOS 16

Posted on Nov 24, 2022 7:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2022 8:20 AM

I understand you initially set up an Apple ID for iTunes, but you as time passed your wife used it more than you did, and acquired a sizable library of photos and games and other content linked to that Apple ID.

Now that you have an iPhone and set it up with that same Apple ID, confusion has set in. You set up a Mac Mini with your own Apple ID, and would prefer that she use her own Apple ID while retaining her own content and related activity.

Whereas there is no practicable way of transferring content from one Apple ID to another, you can set up Family Sharing: Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support.

I also recommend that each of you add each other as Legacy Contacts: How to add a Legacy Contact for your Apple ID - Apple Support.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2022 8:20 AM in response to pogbellies

I understand you initially set up an Apple ID for iTunes, but you as time passed your wife used it more than you did, and acquired a sizable library of photos and games and other content linked to that Apple ID.

Now that you have an iPhone and set it up with that same Apple ID, confusion has set in. You set up a Mac Mini with your own Apple ID, and would prefer that she use her own Apple ID while retaining her own content and related activity.

Whereas there is no practicable way of transferring content from one Apple ID to another, you can set up Family Sharing: Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support.

I also recommend that each of you add each other as Legacy Contacts: How to add a Legacy Contact for your Apple ID - Apple Support.

Split Apple Account with Wife While Keeping Game Saves and Images

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.