Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine not working on Ventura

Hi im trying to restore a Time Machine backup on my 2019 iMac. I choose restore from Time Machine backup but it says "You must use Migration Assistant to transfer data from this backup" saying I need to reinstall OS. I try to reinstall Ventura but I keep getting error messages like "Error loading the update"

I tried erasing my Mac completely but it downgrades it to Mojave which for some reason makes the Time Machine file doesn't show up in my external hard drive

iMac

Posted on Nov 24, 2022 9:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2022 10:54 AM

Are you able to boot in Monterey, go to the System/Software Update preferences and start the Ventura download? If so then continue with the following:

I've had better luck from the Safe Mode because I evidently have some 3rd party software that interferes with the installation so do the following:

#1 - boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3-5 minutes as it's doing the following; 
• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)
• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
• Disables user-installed fonts 
• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

#2 - go to the System/Software Update preference pane and begin the download.

#3 - run the installer from the Safe Mode.

Note: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries you should connect it with its charging cable to assure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2022 10:54 AM in response to colby39

Are you able to boot in Monterey, go to the System/Software Update preferences and start the Ventura download? If so then continue with the following:

I've had better luck from the Safe Mode because I evidently have some 3rd party software that interferes with the installation so do the following:

#1 - boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3-5 minutes as it's doing the following; 
• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)
• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
• Disables user-installed fonts 
• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

#2 - go to the System/Software Update preference pane and begin the download.

#3 - run the installer from the Safe Mode.

Note: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries you should connect it with its charging cable to assure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Time Machine not working on Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.