Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Studio Display Daisy Chaining?

Hi, I have the Late 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max. I'm thinking about getting an Apple Studio Display for FCPX. I'd like to know if I could daisy chain off of it using a USB-C to DisplayPort 1.2 My second display monitor is an ASUS PB278Q (spec's in link below). Currently I have this display connected to my MacBook Pro M1 Max USB-C to DisplayPort 1.2 which works flawlessly. Any help and/or suggestions would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks.

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/0e5260a

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Nov 24, 2022 9:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2022 9:24 PM

You can't daisy-chain two Apple Studio Displays, but since your computer is not one of the M1 models limited to one display via Thunderbolt, you should be able to connect your ASUS display to one of the USB-C ports on the back of the Studio display using your USB-C adapter.

22 replies

Jan 4, 2023 7:35 PM in response to gojirasan

No. Studio displays can't be daisy-chained (only one Thunderbolt connection), and the M2 MacBook Pro supports only one external display.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, M2, 2022) - Technical Specifications

"Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at millions of colors and:

One external display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz"

Nov 26, 2022 7:09 AM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

Thanks....... You're absolutely correct, daisy chaining two Apple Studio Displays due to only having one Thunderbolt 3 input with no Thunderbolt 3 output is impossible.... way to go Apple. As for the connecting to one of the USB-C ports on the back of the Apple Studio Display using my USB-C to to DisplayPort to the ASUS just may work but, I don't know if it would carry the video signal. That would be nice if I could..... I do believe that I could use my current setup from the M1 Max to the ASUS and eat up another port leading to an Apple Studio Display. Certainly something to try before investing $400.00 in the above mentioned TS4 hub. If I want to keep two of my USB-C ports open on the M1 Max, the TS4 appears that it would do the trick. CalDigit has a playlist of 9 video's for their TS4 hub. It also supports Windows / ChromeBook along with a host other different ports for different configurations. Downside, it's a little pricey at $400.00 but, well worth it I.M.O. over Apples Tilt/Adjustable stand which is currently at the same price....🤔 Thanks again, appreciate it. 👍

Jan 5, 2023 12:38 AM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

Thanks for this. Nuts. I guess I'll be returning the second Studio Display that is being delivered later today... (Should I even TRY to hook it up to my hub???). What sucks is that I traded in my MacBook Pro 14-inch 2021 model because of the video editing speed the new one was going to have. But now that I need the two monitors, I may not be able to use them with the faster chip... Dang.

Feb 19, 2023 3:58 AM in response to hcsitas

Unfortunately I found out about this the hard way. As I was attempting to daisy chain my LG Ultrafine 4K to the studio display.

I am able to get 3 monitors connected to my 2021 MBP 16” buy using all the usb-c ports. I also attempted to connect the Studio Display to my Dell WD22TB4 docking station but no go.

it would be nice to have this feature enabled via a future software update.

Apple Studio Display Daisy Chaining?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.