Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will Apple repair a MacBook if someone has repaired it before and they can tell.

Hi everyone,

I have a MacBook Pro 13" 2017 Touch Bar with the flex gate issue. I have found out there is a service programme available for it. I am also wondering if Apple would do that program anymore at all now. It says at the bottom that it is valid for 3 years after the start of the program, or 5 years after the initial purchase of the MacBook. The programme is 3 years old and the MacBook is 5 years old.

Anyway, if Apple were to inspect the device and find that it had been repaired before by a third-party repair store or a person, would they still perform the repair, and would they do it under the program, or would they try to get me to pay?

Thanks, Philip.

Philip's MacBook Pro 13" 2017 #2, MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Nov 24, 2022 3:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2022 10:35 AM

Theoretically no as long as the problem was not caused by the unofficial repair, Apple should repair it...theoretically. However, from posts I have seen on this forum...Apple and many AASPs will not repair it. It usually depends on the tech examining the laptop and how they interpret Apple's rules. While this behavior may be illegal in some jurisdictions, it is doubtful most people feel it is worth the time & money to fight it. The only way to know is have Apple or an AASP repair (or attempt to repair) the laptop.

FYI, only the MBPro 13" (2016) model has the free repair program for the Display issue. The 2017 model is not part of the program, but some 2016 models may have been sold into 2018 which would be covered by the program if it is still active.

13-inch MacBook Pro Display Backlight Service Program - Apple Support

Relevant section of the linked article:

FYI, you can get the exact model of your laptop by clicking the Apple menu and selecting "About This Mac". Unless it shows one of the two models listed in the screenshot, your laptop is not part of this free repair program.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2022 10:35 AM in response to PhilipRace

Theoretically no as long as the problem was not caused by the unofficial repair, Apple should repair it...theoretically. However, from posts I have seen on this forum...Apple and many AASPs will not repair it. It usually depends on the tech examining the laptop and how they interpret Apple's rules. While this behavior may be illegal in some jurisdictions, it is doubtful most people feel it is worth the time & money to fight it. The only way to know is have Apple or an AASP repair (or attempt to repair) the laptop.

FYI, only the MBPro 13" (2016) model has the free repair program for the Display issue. The 2017 model is not part of the program, but some 2016 models may have been sold into 2018 which would be covered by the program if it is still active.

13-inch MacBook Pro Display Backlight Service Program - Apple Support

Relevant section of the linked article:

FYI, you can get the exact model of your laptop by clicking the Apple menu and selecting "About This Mac". Unless it shows one of the two models listed in the screenshot, your laptop is not part of this free repair program.

Nov 24, 2022 4:28 PM in response to PhilipRace

I won’t pass judgment, but rather offer a solution as best I can.

Based on your situation, I recommend service.

Service Checklist:

Click ▶︎ Start a Service Request. ⚛️

Need more help?

Click ▶︎ Check Repair Status. 🔧

Nov 25, 2022 12:35 PM in response to PhilipRace

Be very careful as these laptops are much more difficult to repair. Just removing the Bottom Case is more difficult and I've seen people cause accidental damage to their laptops trying to remove the case. Plus disconnecting the battery is a bit different and the cables & connectors are very fragile & easily damaged.

Good luck.

Will Apple repair a MacBook if someone has repaired it before and they can tell.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.