Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wired usb keyboard and mouse stopped working after updating to Ventura

After updating to MacOS Ventura my wired mouse and keyboard is not recognized anymore, it does not appear in System report > USB

I use a USB hub that has it's own power and it's working correctly, other USB devices connected to my hub are recognized, like a USB stick. It seems to be a problem with wired mouse and keyboard. Also tried with other wired mouse I have but the same happens.

I know the mouse and keyboard I have works perfectly, If I connect the hub to an Android phone via USB-C port I can control the UI of the phone using the mouse and keyboard with no problem.

I have a Macbook Air M1

MacBook Air 13″

Posted on Nov 24, 2022 4:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2022 7:10 AM

I found the issue, the hub has a cable that is connected to the Macbook and since it's short I was using an extension USB-C cable that it's not broken but I connected the hub directly and all worked, then I researched about it and found that the USB-C extension cables female plug sometimes needs to be flipped if some devices does not work in a hub (like it was in my case) I flipped the female and everything worked. I thought there was no difference in the orientation when connecting a USB-C. Also It's weird that I connected the hub to my Android phone and all devices worked without flipping the plug, it's something that happens with the Macbook, maybe it's something related with the Thunderbolt stuff.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2022 7:10 AM in response to un_tal_fer

I found the issue, the hub has a cable that is connected to the Macbook and since it's short I was using an extension USB-C cable that it's not broken but I connected the hub directly and all worked, then I researched about it and found that the USB-C extension cables female plug sometimes needs to be flipped if some devices does not work in a hub (like it was in my case) I flipped the female and everything worked. I thought there was no difference in the orientation when connecting a USB-C. Also It's weird that I connected the hub to my Android phone and all devices worked without flipping the plug, it's something that happens with the Macbook, maybe it's something related with the Thunderbolt stuff.

Nov 24, 2022 7:48 PM in response to un_tal_fer

un_tal_fer wrote:

I use a USB hub that has it's own power and it's working correctly, other USB devices connected to my hub are recognized, like a USB stick. It seems to be a problem with wired mouse and keyboard. Also tried with other wired mouse I have but the same happens.

From the information you provide, it looks like the hub is the issue. Although it works with other devices, it may not be handling the power properly for your mouse and keyboard with or without other devices attached. That hub is also not working with another wired mouse, that's consistent with the hub being the issue.

Why don't you simply connect the keyboard and/or mouse directly to the computer (with an adaptor if required) and completely disconnect the hub. Not permanently but to test and to narrow down the root cause here.

Every time a new MacOS is introduced, people discover that some hubs are not 100% compatible with the new MacOS, e.g. some devices work, others do not. What hub are you using? You did not say in your post.

Also, you do not provide info on the mouse and keyboard. Are they Apple devices? If not, how do you know they are compatible with Ventura?

Wired usb keyboard and mouse stopped working after updating to Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.