Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

YouTube on Safari causing high CPU and overheat, what should I do?

I have got MacBook Pro 2013 and M1, both of them used 256GB SSD, 8GB Physical Memory.

And, whenever playing music or seeing clip on YouTube, even 1080HD, the MPB 2013 and M1 had got over 100% CPU. This appeared only with YouTube tab on Safari.

I've read some articles, then I knew the Safari using hardware acceleration, instead of decoding by software from Chrome. Even 1080HD but not 4K, the very high CPU occurred.

May you suggest something to fix, change or tuning performance which caused overheat and overload CPU in this situation?

Thank you very much!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Nov 24, 2022 6:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2022 6:20 AM

I oso have this issue. And what u told was lit man. Every time i look for issues only receive this kind of stupid replies rather then a real solution.

Similar questions

6 replies

Jan 26, 2023 1:11 AM in response to LLonsdale

Temporarily, you can do something to decrease CPU % performance when loading in YouTube tab as following:

YouTube:

• Do not chose 2K or 4K video clip, indeed 1080 maximum resolution
  • Disable playing when moving mouse option at: User -> Setting -> Playing and Performance

Safari:

• Clear cache & cookies at least 1 week
  • Using Adblock premium

MacOS:

• Downgrade MacOS to Catalina, BigSur (in my opinion, Mojave is the best MacOS for all Intel Macbook)
  • Enable Firewall and disable FileVault.
  • At least 5.6GB free on your Macintosh partition.

Hope to help.

Nov 27, 2022 6:25 PM in response to Todd0213

Thank you, @Todd0213.

If I want to eat a candy, I just put it into my mouth. And if the candies are in a box, I will open and eat them :D

(Please do not guide me something simply as delete cache, history, disable extensions ...)

No, I want to understand, why YouTube cause high CPU when using on Safari, just only YouTube tab but not also another.

Let take a keen on eyes to kernel_tasks, this is a complicated background processes, which might be created by something old language, such as C or even Assembly, an ancient one. The kernel_tasks works as more than one application, it will never breaks anything cause hang OS, at least as my understood.

I see, YouTube uses or prefer VP9 decode which just only comfortable to Chrome or x86_64, and it used software accelerator progression. Safari used hardware instead of, that's might be reason.

Nov 26, 2022 2:44 PM in response to trantuananh24hg

Hello trantuananh24hg,

We're glad you were able to isolate the issue to when watching videos via YouTube in Safari. With the CPU usage you're seeing, you'll want to quit Safari in Activation Monitor. This can be done by following the steps listed below. You can also learn more about using Activity Monitor via the following article.

1. Open Activity Monitor.
  2. Click Safari in the list of apps.
  3. Then click the stop sign icon located towards the top-left of the window.

View information about Mac processes in Activity Monitor - Apple Support

Take care!

YouTube on Safari causing high CPU and overheat, what should I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.