Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Health functions in family set up watches (GPS+Cell)

Happy thanksgiving/black Friday!

I am inquiring about whether the new apple watches can perform all the health functions without an iPhone near by? (The will be used via family set up with my far away iPhone).

My wife is an android user and my son is going to pre school.

I am thinking about buying them apple watches. I am especially interested in the fall alert and other health functions like heart rate, ECG, and O2 saturation (given all the respiratory viruses going on).

However, the review videos I found on YouTube (all circa 2020 when the family set up was announced) said that the Apple Watch health functions were not supported and the family set up was basically GPS + phone/message. I wonder if there are any new updates?

Posted on Nov 25, 2022 9:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2022 9:42 AM

Current updates allow for certain Health Features with Family Setup.

See the "Available Features" section here ➜ Set up Apple Watch for a family member - Apple Support

Health and fitness features:
High and low heart rate notifications are available for users 13 and older.
Heart Rate Variability (HRV) is available for users 18 and older. 
Walking Steadiness and Fall Detection are available for users 18 and older.
Users under the age of 13 can use move minutes, rather than active calories, for their Move goal in the Activity app.

The following features and apps are not available: Medications, respiratory rate, irregular heart rhythm notifications, ECG, Cycle Tracking, Sleep, Wrist Temperature, Blood Oxygen, Audiobooks, Remote, News, Home, and Shortcuts.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2022 9:42 AM in response to Macnia@PKU

Current updates allow for certain Health Features with Family Setup.

See the "Available Features" section here ➜ Set up Apple Watch for a family member - Apple Support

Health and fitness features:
High and low heart rate notifications are available for users 13 and older.
Heart Rate Variability (HRV) is available for users 18 and older. 
Walking Steadiness and Fall Detection are available for users 18 and older.
Users under the age of 13 can use move minutes, rather than active calories, for their Move goal in the Activity app.

The following features and apps are not available: Medications, respiratory rate, irregular heart rhythm notifications, ECG, Cycle Tracking, Sleep, Wrist Temperature, Blood Oxygen, Audiobooks, Remote, News, Home, and Shortcuts.

Health functions in family set up watches (GPS+Cell)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.