Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notes wiped

Hi folks,

I am running macOs Ventura 13.0.1. This morning, I opened the computer and found Notes completely wiped. And although the option was checked, I found Notes not backup to iCloud neither. I had a very substantial collection of notes and need it back. Is there a way? I have time machine backups if it can be of help but I don't know how to go about it to recover Notes.

Please, help!

iMac 21.5″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Nov 25, 2022 2:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2022 7:53 AM

Am replying to myself in case someone else encounters this phenomenon:

Notes are back - a glitch switched off Notes in Internet Accounts (my email address). Don't ask me why. Guided by an Apple support agent I switched it back on and all of my notes reappeared.

Prior to the above, I did the following procedure to restore Notes from a time machine backup (verified the procedure with an Apple support agent) - it turned out that the procedure was really unnecessary, but, if need be, here it is because it works:

macOS Monterey & Ventura: all notes missing from the Notes app

• Quit Notes app
  • Disconnect physical internet connection
  • Switch off WiFi
  • Go to: ~/Library/Group Containers —> group.com.apple.notes
  • Time Machine: restore suitable group.com.apple.notes
  • Copy NoteStore files (ALL THREE SIMULTANEOUSLY) from group.com.apple.notes to desktop, then move them to trash (DON’T EMPTY TRASH)
  • Reconnect internet connection
  • Switch on WiFi
  • Open Notes, verify content (should be empty), quit app
  • Put back NoteStore files (ALL THREE SIMULTANEOUSLY), opt to replace existing ones
  • Uncheck, then recheck iCloud —> Notes
  • Open Notes (On My Mac), content should be restored

Hope it can be of help to someone.

Now I have only one more problem with Notes: although all is properly checked for the procedure, Notes won't backup to iCloud and I have no clue why. Though I am able to manually copy my notes to iCloud, I wonder: can I not have Notes on my desktop AS WELL AS a copy of it on iCloud that syncs as I edit my notes on the desktop? But this is stuff for another thread...

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2022 7:53 AM in response to dubwisedude

Am replying to myself in case someone else encounters this phenomenon:

Notes are back - a glitch switched off Notes in Internet Accounts (my email address). Don't ask me why. Guided by an Apple support agent I switched it back on and all of my notes reappeared.

Prior to the above, I did the following procedure to restore Notes from a time machine backup (verified the procedure with an Apple support agent) - it turned out that the procedure was really unnecessary, but, if need be, here it is because it works:

macOS Monterey & Ventura: all notes missing from the Notes app

• Quit Notes app
  • Disconnect physical internet connection
  • Switch off WiFi
  • Go to: ~/Library/Group Containers —> group.com.apple.notes
  • Time Machine: restore suitable group.com.apple.notes
  • Copy NoteStore files (ALL THREE SIMULTANEOUSLY) from group.com.apple.notes to desktop, then move them to trash (DON’T EMPTY TRASH)
  • Reconnect internet connection
  • Switch on WiFi
  • Open Notes, verify content (should be empty), quit app
  • Put back NoteStore files (ALL THREE SIMULTANEOUSLY), opt to replace existing ones
  • Uncheck, then recheck iCloud —> Notes
  • Open Notes (On My Mac), content should be restored

Hope it can be of help to someone.

Now I have only one more problem with Notes: although all is properly checked for the procedure, Notes won't backup to iCloud and I have no clue why. Though I am able to manually copy my notes to iCloud, I wonder: can I not have Notes on my desktop AS WELL AS a copy of it on iCloud that syncs as I edit my notes on the desktop? But this is stuff for another thread...

Notes wiped

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.