Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to completely backup my Iphone 13 ProMax to MacBook Air vIa WiFi?

Posted on Nov 25, 2022 2:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2022 5:16 AM

You can back up your iPhone to the Mac via WiFi. But first, you need to connect via USB. Then in the Finder window on the Mac for the iPhone, check "Show this iPhone when on WiFi." You can then use the Mac to back up the iPhone over WiFi to the Mac.

The only caveat is that you may need to unlock the iPhone to do it and you may get a "Trust this computer" message on the iPhone. Also, you cannot back it up to the Mac from the iPhone itself. iOS 16 seems to force a verification no matter how you connect to the computer for security reasons. Previously, plugging the iPhone into a charger in your home would trigger a backup to the Mac if it was on but with the new security I no longer think that is the case but not quite sure of that. I am not sure, but I think you will need to be on your home network but I wouldn't trust a public WiFi anyway.

At least you don't need a cable.

As a matter of fact, I just did a manual backup of my iPhone 13 Pro to my 2020 MacBook Air over WiFi when I saw this post.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2022 5:16 AM in response to PulpittND

You can back up your iPhone to the Mac via WiFi. But first, you need to connect via USB. Then in the Finder window on the Mac for the iPhone, check "Show this iPhone when on WiFi." You can then use the Mac to back up the iPhone over WiFi to the Mac.

The only caveat is that you may need to unlock the iPhone to do it and you may get a "Trust this computer" message on the iPhone. Also, you cannot back it up to the Mac from the iPhone itself. iOS 16 seems to force a verification no matter how you connect to the computer for security reasons. Previously, plugging the iPhone into a charger in your home would trigger a backup to the Mac if it was on but with the new security I no longer think that is the case but not quite sure of that. I am not sure, but I think you will need to be on your home network but I wouldn't trust a public WiFi anyway.

At least you don't need a cable.

As a matter of fact, I just did a manual backup of my iPhone 13 Pro to my 2020 MacBook Air over WiFi when I saw this post.

Nov 27, 2022 12:11 PM in response to PulpittND

Hi there PulpittND,

You can't back up your iPhone to your Mac using Wi-Fi only. You'll need to connect via USB. Have a look at these steps to learn more:

Back up with the Finder
1. On a Mac with macOS Catalina or later, open a Finder window.
2. Connect your device to your computer with a USB cable.
3. If asked for your device passcode or to Trust This Computer, follow the onscreen steps. Get help if you forgot your passcode.
4. Select your device on your computerLearn what to do if your device doesn't appear on your computer.
5. If you want to save Health and Activity data from your device or Apple Watch, you need to encrypt your backup. Select the "Encrypt local backup" checkbox and create a memorable password.
6. Click Back Up Now.
7. When the process ends, you can see if the backup finished successfully. You'll see the date and time of your last backup.

You'll find this information here: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch with your Mac - Apple Support

To back up using Wi-Fi, you can back up to iCloud. Learn how here: How to back up your iPhone or iPad with iCloud - Apple Support

Take care.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.