Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

This webpage is using significant energy on this website!

Hey There,

I went on the NBA.com there's a problem This webpage is using significant energy. Closing it may improve the responsiveness of your Mac. so I'm going to close it or force quit!

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 25, 2022 5:58 PM

7 replies

Jan 10, 2023 3:12 PM in response to John Galt

I get this on a regular basis myself. Sometimes It is obvious why - pages with lots of ads (especially animated ads) tend to do this quickly, even if the only tab or window open.

But I still believe there is an issue in Safari - as it would seem that sometimes this message comes up on rather mundane web pages - And yes, over time, those pages slow/bog down.

When the "solution" is to use a different browser - that doesn't speak very highly of Apple's Safari browser.

Jan 10, 2023 4:09 PM in response to Michael Battenfield

It's just a message. If you prefer not to know that a webpage is using significant energy you can choose to ignore it or use a different browser. It may use even more energy and slow down your Mac leaving you to wonder why.

If you have questions try perusing the "Similar questions" linked above, which are likely to reveal similar answers.

Jan 10, 2023 4:39 PM in response to John Galt

This is observably false.

Just in the time since I posted the above, I have had windows open that showed the warning... then after several minutes reloaded on their own.

I've also observed web pages having this pop up, then begin to become unresponsive -

There is more to the story than "just a message", as I can open the same page with several other browsers and never have it slow down, nor does it "bog down" my MacBook Pro. It is specific to Safari.

This webpage is using significant energy on this website!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.