Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrating content from 2010 MacBook Pro to 2021 MacBook Pro

My old laptop had a good run but now I have finally upgraded to the 2021 16” MacBook Pro. I’d like to transfer my files and software across (as much as possible). My 2010 model runs on El Capitan. Articles on transferring content say to update both devices before starting, but I’m aware that the latest iOS won’t run on the old model. Is it possible to do this without updating the old model? Is it pointless trying to transfer the software? TIA

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Nov 26, 2022 5:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2022 5:21 AM

Update each machine to the most current update they each can run. This link should assist with what to do next. Be patient, it does take longer than you think. Move content to a new Mac - Apple Support

If you still have difficulties, reach out to Apple Support on the phone and have them walk you through it and or log onto your machines to help remotely. They are awesome in providing assistance.

Get Support – Apple

Apple Support

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or online Apple Support

or call AppleCare Support at 1-800-APLCARE (800-275-2273)

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2022 5:21 AM in response to Dovian

Update each machine to the most current update they each can run. This link should assist with what to do next. Be patient, it does take longer than you think. Move content to a new Mac - Apple Support

If you still have difficulties, reach out to Apple Support on the phone and have them walk you through it and or log onto your machines to help remotely. They are awesome in providing assistance.

Get Support – Apple

Apple Support

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or online Apple Support

or call AppleCare Support at 1-800-APLCARE (800-275-2273)

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Migrating content from 2010 MacBook Pro to 2021 MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.