Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M2 Air gets jumpy if my typing speed increases: is it the tighter keyboard design; me; or something to look into

Even on this website, which is a good example, i may be typing this now and if i go as fast in typing as i can, a letter may appear in a different place within the sentence or paragraph. This was not happening with my old 2013 MacAir (Mojave OS).

The M2 MacBook Air 2022 has a tighter keyboard but i don't think my fingers are wondering to other keys when i go as fast as i can. When i am writing the flow is to type fast and 'speak' through the typing, so to look down at the page and find that it has JUMPED (that is the sense of it) to another place in the section that i am writing in, means that I have to Edit>undo typing more than i wish i needed to.

Is this me getting used to the tighter keyboard design; that somehow the M2 'can't keep up with my typing speed' (which is not very fast; maybe wpm 50 wpm really, but i do have a rhythm of tapping fast and hard when i am on a roll). It happens with punctuation (for example this word punctuation was just corrected for spelling, i see, and he marker for placement JUMPED to wpm (my abbreviation for words per minute) in the sentence above, while at the same time chopping off the 'ybe' in the word 'maybe' before this 'spelling correction'. This is a good example of what is happening right here and now.

In MacMail there is a preference for the spelling correction to not happen until one indicates send; but even though i have chosen this since Catalina OS MacMail doesn't seem to obey this preference; but now with Monterey the behavior is more intense and it give the sense the the place marker for where i am in the writing JUMPS. I can see that part of it is getting used to the keyboard but is what i am describing indicating some other issue, that i should be aware of while i am under warranty?

M2 MacBook Air 2022 Monterey OS

MacBook Air, macOS 12.6

Posted on Nov 26, 2022 7:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2022 10:44 AM

This may be counter-intuitive but this solved the issue of the jumpiness of the typing and with being able to type more quickly and with a 'typing on a typewriter rhythm': SysPref>Accessibility>Keyboard>Hardware>

unchecking, enable show keys > options "Acceptance Delay"> right in the middle of the range.

It seems that a faster acceptance of delay would go with a faster typing speed and it did on the MacAir: Mojava

and Catalina OS; but with the M2 Monterey Air this was not so; and the longer delay means that one can 'bang away' as one might have on a typewriter (without the place on the page jumping around).

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2022 10:44 AM in response to allan299

This may be counter-intuitive but this solved the issue of the jumpiness of the typing and with being able to type more quickly and with a 'typing on a typewriter rhythm': SysPref>Accessibility>Keyboard>Hardware>

unchecking, enable show keys > options "Acceptance Delay"> right in the middle of the range.

It seems that a faster acceptance of delay would go with a faster typing speed and it did on the MacAir: Mojava

and Catalina OS; but with the M2 Monterey Air this was not so; and the longer delay means that one can 'bang away' as one might have on a typewriter (without the place on the page jumping around).

Nov 27, 2022 8:48 AM in response to allan299

So far I have found that the thing to look into was in this case, was that the migration assistant app's transfer of data from the 2013 Mac to current M2 Monterey 2022 (was excellent); but did not for whatever reason, include the Sys Pref > Accessibility > Keybroad > Hardware > enable slow keys > option [choosing a faster speed between pressing the key and the response]. Now the rhythm of the responsiveness of the keys is to my preferred responsiveness.

M2 Air gets jumpy if my typing speed increases: is it the tighter keyboard design; me; or something to look into

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.