Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Find My is tracking a device but not the person

I’ve been a bit stumped by this.

We have a family subscription with four people. On Find My everyone’s devices appear correctly, but in the friends map view my daughter never leaves home!

In her settings it’s set to use her phone for location, we’ve tried rebooting, turning Find My off and on, logging out of ICloud and back in, but the problem remains: her phone tracks correctly but not her location.

If anyone has any ideas they would be appreciated.

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Nov 27, 2022 3:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2022 9:49 AM

It was all set up correctly. The problem was that the device location was accurate, but her location was not correct.

I corrected it, in the end, by deleting my daughter and then re-adding her. Her location now correctly tracks with her device.

2 replies

Nov 29, 2022 8:28 AM in response to RigsbyDog

Hey RigsbyDog,

We'd be happy to help out. To get started, make sure you're looking in the Devices tab of Find My. Here you'll see the other family members in your Family Sharing group listed below yours. It's not expected to be able to locate a person, only the device. If she leaves her iPhone at home, it'll show that she's at home and will not move. This would be expected. If she's bringing it with her and the location still isn't changing, then make sure things are set up properly using these steps:

Share your location with family members
When you share locations with your family, they can see your location in Find My. You can also get notified when family members change their locations—for example, if a child leaves school during school hours.
1. Go to Settings > [your name] > Family Sharing, then scroll down and tap Location.
2. Tap the name of a family member you want to share your location with.

You can repeat this step for each family member you want to share your location with. Each family member receives a message that you’re sharing your location and can choose to share their location with you.

You can stop sharing your location with any family member at any time.

Note: Children and teens with Screen Time turned on may not be able to change their own location sharing settings.
To share your location, you must have Location Services turned on in Settings  > Privacy & Security. See Control the location information you share on iPhone.

Locate a family member’s device
After you share your location with members of your Family Sharing group, they can help locate a missing device added to the Find My app.

See Locate a device in Find My on iPhone.

Your devices are at the top of the list, and your family members’ devices are below yours.

The Devices tab in Find My. Danny’s iPhone is at the top of the list. Below are the devices of Ashley, Dawn, Olivia, and Will.

All this is outlined here: Share locations with family members and locate their lost devices on iPhone - Apple Support

If all else fails, reach out to Apple Support using this link: Get Support

We hope this helps out.

Take care!

Find My is tracking a device but not the person

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.