Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

should I always or MUST I always eject an external hard drive before I shut down?

should I always or MUST I always eject an external hard drive before I shut down?

When I don't my MacPro13 does not 'see' the disk and I have to use First Aid.

Posted on Nov 27, 2022 4:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2022 5:22 AM

Hi,

On shutdown or restart the macOS will flush any pending file writes or updates to the drives before powering off. Therefore doing a shutdown or restart should be no different than ejecting or unmounting the drive. I think you don't worry about it, though if you have trouble without eject or unmount the external drive, you'd better eject or unmount the external drive when you shutdown your MacBook Pro.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2022 5:22 AM in response to IMbatman13

Hi,

On shutdown or restart the macOS will flush any pending file writes or updates to the drives before powering off. Therefore doing a shutdown or restart should be no different than ejecting or unmounting the drive. I think you don't worry about it, though if you have trouble without eject or unmount the external drive, you'd better eject or unmount the external drive when you shutdown your MacBook Pro.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.