Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Playing Music from my iMac on a Sonos Playbar

I'm using an iMac (late 2012) running OS X (Catalina 10.15.7). I'm trying to add my Music Library to the Sonos app so that I can play the music from my library on my Sonos Playbar. I'm using the latest version of the Sonos App (14.19). I've followed the instructions on the Sonos website to add my music library, but it fails to add. I've stored my music on an external HD attached to my iMac. I think that is the problem. If I point the Sonos app to the "My Music" folder (HD>User>Music), it finds a music library buried (HD>Music>iTunes>iTunes Media>Music) in the folder and will add this music library and I can play the contents. If I try pointing the Sonos app to the Music folder stored on my external HD, it fails to add this music library. I don't believe this is a Sonos issue, but an issue with having moved my music library to an external HD. The Music app (1.0.6.10) is pointed to the external HD and can play music from there fine on my iMac. I'm wondering if Sonos doesn't recognize the new music library and only the old iTunes libraries. I know at one time, I could play my iTunes library from my iMac to the the Sonos Playbar, but there have been upgrades, etc, that I was unable to keep up with. I'd appreciate any help with this. Thanks, in advance

Edward Fritzen

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 27, 2022 7:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2022 8:25 AM

I found this on the Sonos Community Support forum and it solved my problem:

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-and-music-services-229131/can-t-add-music-library-apple-music-itunes-catalina-external-hd-help-6849255

I can now play my Music library on my Sonos Playbar from both my iMac (using the Sonos app) or from my iPhone.

Ed

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2022 8:25 AM in response to ELFritzen

I found this on the Sonos Community Support forum and it solved my problem:

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-and-music-services-229131/can-t-add-music-library-apple-music-itunes-catalina-external-hd-help-6849255

I can now play my Music library on my Sonos Playbar from both my iMac (using the Sonos app) or from my iPhone.

Ed

Playing Music from my iMac on a Sonos Playbar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.