Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2011 iMac as a Second Screen for 2021 MacBook Pro?

I have a perfectly good 2011 iMac with macOS High Sierra that I would love to use as a second screen with 2021 MacBook Pro with macOS Monterey.

I have tried the instructions as recommended here: Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support (CA) with both a Thunderbolt cable and a Mini DisplayPort cable; but my MacBook Pro is obviously more recent than the recommended 2019 MacBook or earlier with macOS Catalina or earlier.

So, are there any options to use my 2011 iMac with macOS High Sierra as a second screen for my 2021 MacBook Pro with macOS Monterey?

Posted on Nov 27, 2022 8:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2022 8:34 AM

Sorry, not withTarget Display Mode (TDM). The 2011 iMac supports TDM, but no Mac made after 2019 or running higher than macOS 10.15 Catalina does.

You may be able to use network screen sharing:

Share the screen of another Mac - Apple Support

but it will be "laggy." Others have recommended trying a third-party software solution like Luna Display or Duet Display. However, they may be laggy as well.

Your best option for cost, reliability, ease of setup, fast response, and energy saving remain a free-standing external monitor. Even if you had a Macbook Pro compatible with TDM, the cost of the required adapters and cables could cost as much as a decent external monitor.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2022 8:34 AM in response to julius299

Sorry, not withTarget Display Mode (TDM). The 2011 iMac supports TDM, but no Mac made after 2019 or running higher than macOS 10.15 Catalina does.

You may be able to use network screen sharing:

Share the screen of another Mac - Apple Support

but it will be "laggy." Others have recommended trying a third-party software solution like Luna Display or Duet Display. However, they may be laggy as well.

Your best option for cost, reliability, ease of setup, fast response, and energy saving remain a free-standing external monitor. Even if you had a Macbook Pro compatible with TDM, the cost of the required adapters and cables could cost as much as a decent external monitor.

2011 iMac as a Second Screen for 2021 MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.