Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can i unlock a icloud locked iphone that i buy online

Posted on Nov 28, 2022 6:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2022 6:36 PM

These are user to user forums, so expecting an instant or rapid response is unwarranted. People will respond as they see your post and as they think they can help.

And the reality is you cannot do so. Activation lock requires the seller/owner to release the device from activation lock prior to sale. If the seller will not or cannot help you or is unreachable, then you own a brick. Apple will not help you in such a case.

Honestly, if the seller has vanished or refuses to help, you very likely bought a stolen device. In which case activation lock is doing exactly what it is designed to do - keeping anyone but the legal owner of the device from using it.

See -> How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2022 6:36 PM in response to NICKULB6

These are user to user forums, so expecting an instant or rapid response is unwarranted. People will respond as they see your post and as they think they can help.

And the reality is you cannot do so. Activation lock requires the seller/owner to release the device from activation lock prior to sale. If the seller will not or cannot help you or is unreachable, then you own a brick. Apple will not help you in such a case.

Honestly, if the seller has vanished or refuses to help, you very likely bought a stolen device. In which case activation lock is doing exactly what it is designed to do - keeping anyone but the legal owner of the device from using it.

See -> How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support

Nov 28, 2022 7:06 PM in response to NICKULB6

NICKULB6 wrote:

Sorry for my impatience but if the phone is stolen wouldn't it be black listed

Not necessarily. That would depend on the owner having reported it to their carrier, and that carrier offering blacklisting. Not all carriers in the world actually bother to offer blacklisting services. And no carrier blacklist is notable globally so it is impossible to check if a device is blacklisted u less your in the country where it is blacklisted and the carrier or country has some database to check.

Apple has no mechanism to even take reports of lost or stolen property. They are not aware of anyone’s missing personal property.

There is no way to know for certain a device is blacklisted anywhere in any country in the world.

Nov 29, 2022 5:48 AM in response to NICKULB6

The owner has more methods available than you do. They may have remembered their password, or they were able to reset it because they had ways of proving to Apple that they were the account owner, or they found some way to prove to Apple they were the owner of the device and Apple removed the lock. Basically the owner has multiple ways to recover the account information or convince Apple they are the owner. You don't have any of those, so your only recourse is to hope the person who sold you the device is truly the owner and is willing to go to the effort of removing the lock. You were fortunate that was the case this time.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.