You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finger print Touch for my iPad Air 5 generation

How do l find what I need for finger print ID

iPad Air, iOS 12

Posted on Nov 28, 2022 6:32 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2022 6:17 AM

The tags appended to your post post suggest that you may have a first generation iPad Air. The iPad Air1 cannot be updated beyond iOS12.5.6 - whereas other models of iPad Air can be updated to later versions of iPadOS.

The first generation iPad does not support TouchID - as it lacks the hardware TouchID sensor - and can only be unlocked with a Passcode. By contrast, iPad Air2 and later models do have a TouchID sensor.

Not sure which iPad you have? Identify your iPad model. You can find model information in iPad settings:

Settings > General > About

If your iPad does have a TouchID sensor, you can find information about setting-up TouchID in the iPad User User Guide:

Set up Touch ID on iPad - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 29, 2022 6:17 AM in response to ReadyRoy

The tags appended to your post post suggest that you may have a first generation iPad Air. The iPad Air1 cannot be updated beyond iOS12.5.6 - whereas other models of iPad Air can be updated to later versions of iPadOS.

The first generation iPad does not support TouchID - as it lacks the hardware TouchID sensor - and can only be unlocked with a Passcode. By contrast, iPad Air2 and later models do have a TouchID sensor.

Not sure which iPad you have? Identify your iPad model. You can find model information in iPad settings:

Settings > General > About

If your iPad does have a TouchID sensor, you can find information about setting-up TouchID in the iPad User User Guide:

Set up Touch ID on iPad - Apple Support

Finger print Touch for my iPad Air 5 generation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.