Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV - Home Sharing connects but shows the library as empty

I have applied the steps described in the latest answer several times, but the homesharing still not working for photolibrary of the photo app. Setting common file folders containing images as shared are displayed on Apple TV without any problem.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 29, 2022 12:18 AM

3 replies

Nov 30, 2022 6:36 PM in response to mihály273

Hi mihály273,

The following steps address what you're describing specifically, and should provide a solution:

1. "In iTunes on your Mac, go to File > Home Sharing > Choose Photos to Share with Apple TV.
  2. The Photo Sharing Preferences window opens.
  3. Select “Share Photos from”, then select Photos or iPhoto, or choose a folder to share.
  4. Choose whether you want to share photos and albums or just selected albums, then click Apply.
  5. The photo albums or folders you share appear in the Computers app  on Apple TV."

You can find these steps along with other information that may be helpful, here: View photos from your Mac on Apple TV – Apple Support

If you have followed the steps correctly and you still have the issue, let us know if you get any specific alerts or error messages when trying, as those may help us determine what might be causing the issue.

We also recommend restarting your devices and keeping them updated as those steps assure you have cleared out any minor software issues and are running the most current version.

Update your Apple TV - Apple Support

Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support

If you still have questions, reach out to Apple Support directly, as this may require closer guidance: Get Support

Cheers!

Nov 30, 2022 11:48 PM in response to Lager1

Hi Lager1

I have Catalina 10.05.7, thus iTunes doesn' exist anymore. The homesharing is implemented in SystemPregferences theoraticaly with the same functionality. I performed the steps several times as described in the public Apple documentation and support sites. I found it has serious hidden bugs an hazards, it works in some cases, if you shut down your Mac an your AppleTV (power supply switched off), wait 2-3 minutes, and switch on both systems, perform the sharing steps described. This is unacceptable...

Apple TV - Home Sharing connects but shows the library as empty

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.