Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

airport express

Cannot connect my airport expresses to my wi-fi network and the Apple Extreme. Airport utility finds them, but says "an unexpected error occurred."

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Nov 29, 2022 7:36 AM

8 replies

Nov 29, 2022 8:18 AM in response to FoleyEditor

I understand what you are saying and trying to do. I cannot reproduce the same issue that you are reporting when I test with an AirPort Extreme and an old AirPort Express here. On several tests, the Express connects and sets up without any errors.

Did you try the steps that I listed above?

Make sure that you are performing a Factory Default Reset on the Express(es)....(and not a Hard Reset).

1. Disconnect the AirPort Express from power.
  2. While holding down the reset button, connect the base station to power and continue to hold the reset button for about 6 seconds, until the status light on the base station flashes amber rapidly.
  3. Wait about a minute for the base station to finish restarting.

Nov 29, 2022 7:56 AM in response to Bob Timmons

The old extreme kept dropping the wi-fi so I reset it and changed the name of my wifi network. wifi is working better. two old airport expresses were connected to it. Now the Expresses, which I also reset, show up on utility and the utility says it will add them to extend to the existing network, and the utility has the new network name. I click to add them and then get the error message.

airport express

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.