Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't sync iTunes on Mac to iPhone

I can't transfer music or playlists to iPhone. Can't find sync with iPhone anywhere. iTunes version 12.9.5.5 MacOS Mojave 10.14.6. I find the directions in Apple support inaccurate as far as options they suggest.

No sync option available. See two screen shots below.

I've tried restoring my iPhone and reinstalling iTunes on my Mac.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 29, 2022 9:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2022 2:24 PM

Hey Philip Hanft,

You may need to turn off iCloud Music Library on your iPhone as well.

This article explains how: If your iPhone won't turn on or is frozen - Apple Support

"How to turn on Sync Library on your iPhone or iPad

1. Make sure that your iPhone or iPad is signed in with the same Apple ID that you use with your Apple Music subscription.
  2. Go to Settings.
  3. Tap Music.
  4. Turn on Sync Library.
  5. iPhone showing Music Settings and Sync Library turned on

6. Turn on Sync Library on your other devices."

Thanks!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2022 2:24 PM in response to Philip Hanft

Hey Philip Hanft,

You may need to turn off iCloud Music Library on your iPhone as well.

This article explains how: If your iPhone won't turn on or is frozen - Apple Support

"How to turn on Sync Library on your iPhone or iPad

1. Make sure that your iPhone or iPad is signed in with the same Apple ID that you use with your Apple Music subscription.
  2. Go to Settings.
  3. Tap Music.
  4. Turn on Sync Library.
  5. iPhone showing Music Settings and Sync Library turned on

6. Turn on Sync Library on your other devices."

Thanks!

Dec 1, 2022 11:59 AM in response to Philip Hanft

Hello Philip Hanft,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. In order to sync music from iTunes to your iPhone, you'll need to turn off iCloud Music Library. Having this feature on will prevent you from accessing the option to sync music from iTunes to your iPhone.

To disable iCloud Music Library in iTunes, you'll want to make sure that iTunes is open > go to the menu bar and select iTunes > Preferences > Click the checkbox next to iCloud Music Library to uncheck it.

From there, you can attempt to sync your music. Please let the community know if that helps.

Best regards.

can't sync iTunes on Mac to iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.