Newsroom Update

Today, Apple announced that from 2020 through 2023, the App Store prevented a total of over $7 billion in potentially fraudulent transactions. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to Download App message

Whenever I install an app on my iPhone or iPad, I get an "Unable to Download App" message on my Mac for 3 apps I once had installed on my phone.

I don't know how or why the app store on my Mac is trying to install these when I install apps on my iPhone? These apps are not in my Applications folder and I have no idea how to find them. They are also no longer installed on my iPhone.

Mac mini, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 29, 2022 3:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2022 4:23 PM

Hi wqerwqerwqerwqer,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. You may have "App Downloads" toggled on in your iPhone. This might be the reason as to why the error message appears. To verify that, please go on your iPhone and go to Settings > App Store > App Downloads. If it's toggled on, you can turn it off. Then check to see if this error message continues to appear.

Kind regards.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2022 4:23 PM in response to wqerwqerwqerwqer

Hi wqerwqerwqerwqer,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. You may have "App Downloads" toggled on in your iPhone. This might be the reason as to why the error message appears. To verify that, please go on your iPhone and go to Settings > App Store > App Downloads. If it's toggled on, you can turn it off. Then check to see if this error message continues to appear.

Kind regards.

Dec 2, 2022 10:35 AM in response to wqerwqerwqerwqer

You are welcome wqerwqerwqerwqer, we're glad that worked.

As for the message appearing on your Mac, this particular feature will attempt to download any apps or updates on other devices as well. This is beneficial in the event that you only have one device with you, but need to access that app in particular. Rather than having to download the app individually on each device, you merely download it once and have access with ease.

Reach back out if needed.

Take care!

Unable to Download App message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.