Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is there no permanent display item in my menu bar?

I am running MacOS12.6.1 on my MacBook Air and MacOS12.6 on my MacBook Pro (similar age). On the Pro, I have two icons permanently displaying in my menu bar: A "display" icon AND a "screen mirroring/extension" icon. BOTH of these are absent on my MacBook Air - WHY? There is NOTHING in the "Display Preferences" that would allow me to set these 2 menu items to show up in the menu bar. Of course, I can go through "Display Preferences" everytime I want to connect to another screen (e.g., iPad or TV), but why not have that option permanently displayed in the menu bar? And why not on a MacBook Air (with about the same screen size) when it is quite possible on a MacBook Pro? And, no, my MacBook Air does NOT always "sense" when there is another screen available unless I plug one in through a hardwired connection.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Nov 30, 2022 5:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2022 6:01 AM

Sorry for bugging everyone - apparently I needed to write this to realize that the relevant settings are of course in the "Dock & Menu Bar" Preferences - so I was able to fix my own problem.

1 reply

Why is there no permanent display item in my menu bar?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.