Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If your disk doesn't appear in Disk Utility

I tried erasing my macbook pro but might have erased the whole volume. Is there a

Anything I can do myself or do I need to take it to a technician?

Posted on Nov 30, 2022 6:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2022 7:08 AM

The solution is to boot macOS Recovery again and use Disk Utility to completely erase the device.

Follow these instructions: Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support.

Pay attention to Steps 3 and 4: Be sure to choose View > Show All Devices. The "Device" in its context refers to the entire storage device, meaning not a volume or partition subordinate to that device.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2022 7:08 AM in response to Smithersc

The solution is to boot macOS Recovery again and use Disk Utility to completely erase the device.

Follow these instructions: Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support.

Pay attention to Steps 3 and 4: Be sure to choose View > Show All Devices. The "Device" in its context refers to the entire storage device, meaning not a volume or partition subordinate to that device.

Nov 30, 2022 5:17 PM in response to Smithersc

It really helps to know the exact model of your Mac since the procedure is different between the Intel Macs and Apple Silicon Macs. You can get this information by entering the system serial number here:

Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

Is your laptop using the original Apple SSD or a third party NVMe SSD? What OS installer are you booting?

If you have a 2018+ Mac and are performing a clean install of macOS, then you can "Restore" the firmware if you have access to another Mac running macOS 10.15+.

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

Revive or restore a Mac with Apple silicon using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

If your disk doesn't appear in Disk Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.