Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Duplicate contacts

Suddenly, I have duplicate contacts on iMac, not iPhone. Not all contacts are duplicated (~80%). I see no commonality, i.e. not limited to companies, etc. Manually remove about 200 dups? Why did this happen?

Thanks

iMac 24″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Nov 30, 2022 8:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2022 10:54 AM

Hello PaulD_,

You are able to merge the cards with the steps under Merge contact cards in Contacts on Mac - Apple Support so that can help avoid the time consuming task of deleting them.

"In the Contacts app  on your Mac, do any of the following:

• Look for duplicate cards and merge them: Choose Card > Look for Duplicates, then click Merge.
  • Merge duplicate cards: In the list of contacts, select the duplicate cards you want to merge, then choose Card > Merge Selected Cards."

As for the causes, that we can't say. However, let us know if duplicates persist after merging.

Thanks!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2022 10:54 AM in response to PaulD_

Hello PaulD_,

You are able to merge the cards with the steps under Merge contact cards in Contacts on Mac - Apple Support so that can help avoid the time consuming task of deleting them.

"In the Contacts app  on your Mac, do any of the following:

• Look for duplicate cards and merge them: Choose Card > Look for Duplicates, then click Merge.
  • Merge duplicate cards: In the list of contacts, select the duplicate cards you want to merge, then choose Card > Merge Selected Cards."

As for the causes, that we can't say. However, let us know if duplicates persist after merging.

Thanks!

Dec 3, 2022 8:37 AM in response to PaulD_

Thanks for clarifying PaulD_,

If you use both iCloud and Gmail to sync contacts, it is quite possible the duplication is occurring due to the same contact being synced from both locations. You can turn off just the contact sync feature of one to see if that resolves the duplication. The following Apple Support resources address duplicate contacts on your Mac and may provide some assistance moving forward:

If you see duplicate contacts after setting up iCloud Contacts - Apple Support

Merge contact cards in Contacts on Mac - Apple Support

Resolve duplicates while importing contacts into Contacts on Mac - Apple Support

Best!

Dec 2, 2022 12:32 PM in response to PaulD_

Hi PaulD_,

To clarify, did you recently make any changes to your contacts or Mac? Such as an update, new imports, adding a new email account?

Contacts are typically synced through an email address such as iCloud or a 3rd party account like Gmail or Outlook. If a new account was added that can account for the duplicated contacts. You can see what contacts are synced to your Mac under System Settings > Internet Accounts. Tap on the relevant account and then see if contacts is toggled on.

If it is, toggle it off. If your duplicated contacts disappear, they came from that account.

Cheers!

Dec 2, 2022 1:46 PM in response to DerekM87

Thanks DerekM87,

First,I did not change emails, do imports. I think there was a Mac update. I notice it when a contact goes missing and I look in Contacts. This happens periodically and it seems to be related to system updates? By the time I see it I have missing Contacts in one or the other listing.

Can I fix this be syncing the two lists and deleting one? Turn off Google, or iCloud email service?

I think that was my last remedy.

Dec 12, 2022 12:33 PM in response to Lindsay_B.

Further study: I have 240 names in iCloud account and 78 in Google. Some Google are duped in iCloud, others are missing in iCloud. How do I get all of them in iCloud? Then I can remove dupes, I think?

Secondly, if I turn off Contacts in Google account I shouldn't have this problem again, right? But this happens about once a year... magically! Any explanation would be appreciated.

Duplicate contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.