Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What to do if I forgot the iphone backup password and can't reset settings to create a new encrypted password anymore

What to do if I forgot the iphone backup password and can't reset settings to create a new encrypted password anymore

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Nov 30, 2022 9:55 AM

3 replies

Nov 30, 2022 10:49 AM in response to pam.n

Indeed, it ought to be the case that Settings > General > Transfer or Reset > Reset > Reset All Settings should discard your backup password and allow you to set a new one. Is that not happening for you?

The other obvious option, of course, is the nuclear option of a complete Erase All Content and Settings. That will certainly work, albeit, obviously, it will take longer to recover if you don't have a good recent backup.

Nov 30, 2022 10:53 AM in response to sgucukoglu

Indeed, it ought to be the case that Settings > General > Transfer or Reset > Reset > Reset All Settings should discard your backup password and allow you to set a new one. Is that not happening for you?

As we noted.......there are no workarounds. Sure, you can set up a new password, but that will still not allow access to the encrypted backups if the original password is not known.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.