Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automatic outdoor walk on Apple Watch Series 8

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to make my Apple Watch Series 8 automatically detect my outdoor walks, but seems that it is not doing so, sometimes it will register some minutes in hours of walking.

Basically I tried everything mentioned in this article: https://www.myhealthyapple.com/automatic-workout-detection-not-working-on-apple-watch-fix-it-today/ with no avail.

Any tips?

Thank you in advance

Apple Watch Series 8

Posted on Dec 1, 2022 10:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2022 3:34 PM

Hello EliteHawk,

Thanks for updating us with that information.

We can help with getting starting on calibrating your Apple Watch to see if that may improve the Workout experience for you. Take a look at the steps below to get started on your paired iPhone, and be sure your paired iPhone has the latest iOS version as well. The remaining steps can be found in this resource: Calibrating your Apple Watch for improved Workout and Activity accuracy - Apple Support

Check your settings

To make sure that your Apple Watch can get the information it needs, check these settings on your iPhone:

1. On your iPhone, open the Settings app.

2. Tap Privacy > Location Services. 

3. Make sure that Location Services is turned on.

4. Scroll down, then tap System Services. 

5. Make sure that Motion Calibration & Distance is turned on.

System Services screen on iPhone.

If you see an update is available on your iPhone, be sure to complete a backup prior to installing it. We'll include a resource with steps to back up and update your iPhone here: Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Should you need further assistance, reach out directly to Apple Support to continue checking into this with you.

Have a great day!

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2022 3:34 PM in response to EliteHawk

Hello EliteHawk,

Thanks for updating us with that information.

We can help with getting starting on calibrating your Apple Watch to see if that may improve the Workout experience for you. Take a look at the steps below to get started on your paired iPhone, and be sure your paired iPhone has the latest iOS version as well. The remaining steps can be found in this resource: Calibrating your Apple Watch for improved Workout and Activity accuracy - Apple Support

Check your settings

To make sure that your Apple Watch can get the information it needs, check these settings on your iPhone:

1. On your iPhone, open the Settings app.

2. Tap Privacy > Location Services. 

3. Make sure that Location Services is turned on.

4. Scroll down, then tap System Services. 

5. Make sure that Motion Calibration & Distance is turned on.

System Services screen on iPhone.

If you see an update is available on your iPhone, be sure to complete a backup prior to installing it. We'll include a resource with steps to back up and update your iPhone here: Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Should you need further assistance, reach out directly to Apple Support to continue checking into this with you.

Have a great day!

Dec 4, 2022 1:32 PM in response to EliteHawk

Hi EliteHawk,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities!

If your Apple Watch is running the latest watchOS (Update your Apple Watch - Apple Support), you'll want to confirm that the Watch setting are set to remind you to begin your workout.

1. Launch the Watch app on your companion iPhone
  2. Tap Workout
  3. Enable Start Workout Reminder

Use the Workout app on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Have a good one!

Dec 10, 2022 11:49 AM in response to Brandon_J_321

Hi Brandon_J_321,

thank your for your helpful reply.

I can confirm that after several checks, I am now able to have my outdoor walks automatically detected after 15' of it (except for one time where I pressed "Finish" once and then there is the other page with the "Finish" button, I didn't click it and was like "stuck" there unable to add more workouts until I click finish, it's a bit of UI/UX issue but nothing too serious).

Thank you again because it is a really important feature for me.

Just one last question: the 15' threshold for automatic workout recogition can be changed? I.e. moving it to 10 instead.

Thank you and Regards,

Luca

Automatic outdoor walk on Apple Watch Series 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.