Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imovie projects disappeared

My imovie projects have disappeared. I dont know how, I did not accidentally delete them as far as I know.

I have located the backup libraries but they only contain the one project that still remains in Imovie but none of the others that were there before this issue. Although the restored project says its missing media despite all the media being there in libraries.

The library size is down by about 3GB so I know a lot has been deleted but I dont know why nor can I find any trace of the missing projects in the backup libraries.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 1, 2022 10:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2023 3:29 PM

To cover the bases, when you open the iMovie projects browser screen, make sure that you have selected "All Projects" and also the name of the library that contains the projects. Otherwise the projects browser view will be empty.

-- Rich

Similar questions

18 replies

Dec 1, 2022 10:58 AM in response to skeneton

Hi, skeneton,

It looks like the library that contained the projects either was deleted or that the link to it has been broken, or possibly you are opening iMovie in a different library than contains the projects. If the library is located on an external drive, possibly the drive has or is failing.

Close iMovie and look in your Movies folder (Finder Menu/Go/Home/Movies). See if there are other libraries in there and double click to open iMovie in them to see if they contain your projects. If you have an iMovie library located on an external drive, go there and open it.

If you keep a Time Machine backup you can restore your library to a point in time before the projects disappeared. Restore it to a different location so as not to overwrite your existing library.

To see if possibly a link has been broken, try deleting preferences. To delete preferences open iMovie while

holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Possibly you may need to reboot to set

the changes.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

-- Rich

Dec 4, 2022 3:16 PM in response to pio101

pio101,

Try looking for your project in the iMovie Backups folder.

To get to the iMovie Backups folder, follow this file path from the Finder menu:

Go/Home/Library/Containers/com.apple.iMovieApp/Data/Library/Caches/iMovieBackups

When you get there you will see a list of previous backups of your iMovie library.  Click on one dated just before your issue started.  iMovie will open in that library.   Navigate to your projects browser (where your projects are displayed as icons) and see if your projects are intact.

-- Rich

Dec 5, 2022 7:31 AM in response to Rich839

Thank you Rich,

I tried everything you proposed :)

Unfortunately, my backups finished in August mean after time I lost my file.

Fortunately, I recovered one file before I exported the project, not final version, but it is better then nothing ;)

I wonder if imovie files during the export them to mp4 format are replaced ?

And another question - if I have final version of project in format mp4, can I change it to imovie format again ?

Regards

Dec 5, 2022 8:04 AM in response to pio101

You may export from an iMovie project as often as you want. The project will remain until you manually delete it. I do not know why it did not remain in your case. Possibly your iMovie app is corrupt and needs a redownload.

You can import a previously exported Mp4 movie back into an iMovie project as one long clip and edit it there to a limited extent. Embedded edits from the previous export cannot be changed, but you can add titles, split the clip into segments, delete segments, add new music, add new clips and insert them where you want, etc.

However, we still haven't solved why your iMovie project disappeared in the first place You may want to call Apple Support and talk to the techs there. They have the capability of remotely accessing your computer, that we do not have here.

-- Rich

Dec 5, 2022 9:17 AM in response to pio101

The iMovie Backups folder is the place where iMovie automatically backs up iMovie projects. The projects wouldn't be automatically backed up anywhere else unless you keep a Time Machine backup.

The iMovie project backup would be found in the iMovie Backups folder via the file path that I gave you in my earlier post. In the iMovie backups folder there should be several back ups of your iMovie library by date. Click on a backed up library that is dated before you lost your project.

Also, if you keep a Time Machine backup you could restore your iMovie library to an earlier point in time before you lost your project. If you have a Time Machine backup, restore you library to a different location so as to not overwrite your current library.

Often when projects appear to have "disappeared" it is because one is looking in the wrong library. Check your Movie folder to see if there are other iMovie libraries in there and open iMovie in those libraries to see if you can find your project.

-- Rich

Dec 5, 2022 11:27 AM in response to skeneton

skeneton,

When you do a Control-click/Show Package Contents on the iMovie library's icon in the Movies folder, do you see your projects and events listed in there? Don't move, delete, alter, or change anything in the Package Contents folder or any of its subfolders. I am interested only in whether your projects are still there.

-- Rich

imovie projects disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.