You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio Midi Setup Custom Icons

Is it still possible to add your own custom icons to Audio Midi Setup? I tried putting some in the "Generic" folder, but they won't go. And what happened to the manufacturer's folders? It was nice to be able to find my gear. I'm using a Mac Studio with OS 12.6.

Mac Studio, macOS 12.6

Posted on Dec 2, 2022 9:48 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 3:19 PM

I had the same question. Found the answer though! I have no idea where the Generic ones are kept, but...

Go to the ~\Library\Audio folder off your user folder (Library may be hidden so in finder hold Option key and while opening the "Go" menu in Finder).

In the Audio folder I didn't have a "MIDI Devices" folder so made one (MIDI Drivers was there, but not MIDI Devices).

Then made a folder in that called whatever I liked (in my case "TD-50" for Vdrums icons).

In there made a folder called "Images".

Pop some nice icons in that (need to get some nicer ones with transparent backgrounds) and voila! Doesn't matter what you name the actual icons seemingly. Now in MIDI studio I get "Generic" but also "TD-50" (the folder name) with that icon in, and now have another "RME" folder with "Images" subfolder there too with my UFX II icon in. Make as many as you like with Images subfolders for each or you could just call it "Greg's Bits" or whatever if you just want "Generic" and all your custom icons together in a single "Greg's Bits" icons section.

P.S. This is with Ventura 13.0.1

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 14, 2022 3:19 PM in response to gregfromaz

I had the same question. Found the answer though! I have no idea where the Generic ones are kept, but...

Go to the ~\Library\Audio folder off your user folder (Library may be hidden so in finder hold Option key and while opening the "Go" menu in Finder).

In the Audio folder I didn't have a "MIDI Devices" folder so made one (MIDI Drivers was there, but not MIDI Devices).

Then made a folder in that called whatever I liked (in my case "TD-50" for Vdrums icons).

In there made a folder called "Images".

Pop some nice icons in that (need to get some nicer ones with transparent backgrounds) and voila! Doesn't matter what you name the actual icons seemingly. Now in MIDI studio I get "Generic" but also "TD-50" (the folder name) with that icon in, and now have another "RME" folder with "Images" subfolder there too with my UFX II icon in. Make as many as you like with Images subfolders for each or you could just call it "Greg's Bits" or whatever if you just want "Generic" and all your custom icons together in a single "Greg's Bits" icons section.

P.S. This is with Ventura 13.0.1

Audio Midi Setup Custom Icons

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.