Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Data transfer

Can I transfer files from my Late 2017 MacBookPro (Mac OS 13.0.1) to my late 2011 MacBook Pro (Mac OS 10.13.6)? Want to store some older files on the MBP 2011, which still works superbly. If I can do it, which connector do I need? The 2011 device has an older USB slot and the 2017 has a Thunderbolt slot

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 2, 2022 9:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2022 2:04 PM

You may find it easier to transfer the files using a USB3 drive or enable File Sharing to transfer files over the network. Another option to transfer files would be Air Drop. If you use iCloud, then that is also an option to sync files with both laptops.

Target Disk Mode will require you to use Thunderbolt to transfer the files since the new Mac is running macOS 13.x and Apple recently changed the instructions if either Mac is using macOS 12.x+ that transfers must be done using Thunderbolt instead of USB. To connect the two laptops will require using an Apple USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter along with the appropriate older style Thunderbolt cable utilizing the MiniDisplay Port connector. This is the most expensive of your options if you don't already have these items.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 2, 2022 2:04 PM in response to jhill835

You may find it easier to transfer the files using a USB3 drive or enable File Sharing to transfer files over the network. Another option to transfer files would be Air Drop. If you use iCloud, then that is also an option to sync files with both laptops.

Target Disk Mode will require you to use Thunderbolt to transfer the files since the new Mac is running macOS 13.x and Apple recently changed the instructions if either Mac is using macOS 12.x+ that transfers must be done using Thunderbolt instead of USB. To connect the two laptops will require using an Apple USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter along with the appropriate older style Thunderbolt cable utilizing the MiniDisplay Port connector. This is the most expensive of your options if you don't already have these items.

Data transfer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.