You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage send failure, but it actually does send.

iMessage send failure, but it actually does send. This happens to me all the time (25% guess of all photos and GIFs sent in iMessage), unsure why.

iMessage send failure / not delivered. This happens in individual chats and group chats (both iMessage) from my iPhone 14 pro and my MacBook Pro.

Both are up to date. Although this issue has happened to me randomly for a very long time, before this iPhone, before iOS 16 or MacOS Ventura.

Currently on -

iOS 16.1.2

Mac Ventura 13.0.1

The reason I know my messages actually go through is because people still respond to me, can tapback reactions to them, and I have seen them on group chats through friend's phones.

This happens to GIFs and Photos.

I have no idea if this is my personal devices, my accounts, or a common bug.

I tried searching for answers or similar issues from others and so many results come up but not exactly this same issue, or I am missing it.

iPhone 14 Pro

Posted on Dec 2, 2022 10:10 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2022 12:03 PM

Hello JackRC,

For an intermittent display of "Not Delivered", there are a few steps to work through. You are correct that it will be best to first isolate the root cause to a device, Apple ID, or software. We recommend starting here: If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

"If you see a red exclamation point

If you try to send a message and you see Exclamation mark iconwith an alert that says Not Delivered, follow these steps:

1. Check your network connection.
  2. Tap  Exclamation mark icon, then tap Try Again.
  3. If you still can’t send the message, tap  Exclamation mark icon, then tap Send as Text Message. Messaging rates may apply. Contact your carrier for more information."

Since this issue seems isolate to media messages, like MMS and group messages, we would also recommend working with your carrier if the behavior persists.

Best regards.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 5, 2022 12:03 PM in response to JackRC

Hello JackRC,

For an intermittent display of "Not Delivered", there are a few steps to work through. You are correct that it will be best to first isolate the root cause to a device, Apple ID, or software. We recommend starting here: If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

"If you see a red exclamation point

If you try to send a message and you see Exclamation mark iconwith an alert that says Not Delivered, follow these steps:

1. Check your network connection.
  2. Tap  Exclamation mark icon, then tap Try Again.
  3. If you still can’t send the message, tap  Exclamation mark icon, then tap Send as Text Message. Messaging rates may apply. Contact your carrier for more information."

Since this issue seems isolate to media messages, like MMS and group messages, we would also recommend working with your carrier if the behavior persists.

Best regards.

iMessage send failure, but it actually does send.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.