Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost connection of printer to MacBook Air

I've always had wireless connection from MacBook Air to printer. Recently in last 2 weeks it will not connect anymore and print. However my iPhone 14 does print. Contacting apple and being on the phone for 2 hours they had it finally working. After I hung up it quit working again. Called them back and was transferred to a senior advisor Ricky who said it was nothing to do with the computer. I needed to unplug printer and internet and keep trying that way. Wrong Answer! Please help! Thanks

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 2, 2022 11:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2022 12:16 PM

Hi,

Any information about the printer make and model?

Since you can print from an iPhone, I guess that the printer is an AirPrint-enabled model (list in About AirPrint - Apple Support). If there is a problem with AirPrint device discovery, you could try the following procedure (do not forget the router):

Power off the Wi-Fi router, the printer, the Mac, the iPhone, and all other connected devices/computers. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the router. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the printer. Wait a minute or two. Power on the Mac. Power on the iPhone. Finally, power on all other devices/computers.

If necessary, reset the printing system on the Mac and re-add the printer:

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 2, 2022 12:16 PM in response to Danitafromky

Hi,

Any information about the printer make and model?

Since you can print from an iPhone, I guess that the printer is an AirPrint-enabled model (list in About AirPrint - Apple Support). If there is a problem with AirPrint device discovery, you could try the following procedure (do not forget the router):

Power off the Wi-Fi router, the printer, the Mac, the iPhone, and all other connected devices/computers. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the router. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the printer. Wait a minute or two. Power on the Mac. Power on the iPhone. Finally, power on all other devices/computers.

If necessary, reset the printing system on the Mac and re-add the printer:

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Dec 3, 2022 8:08 AM in response to Danitafromky

Thank you for the information.

Yes, the HP OfficeJet 5258 All-In-One Printer is listed in About AirPrint - Apple Support as a model supported by the driverless AirPrint technology. This means that the printer is compatible with macOS. It should be possible to use the computer without additional drivers, provided that the printer and the Mac computer are connected to the same network (Wi-Fi router). The iPhone can be used without an extra app if it is connected to that same Wi-Fi network.

Which exact macOS version is running after the update, and which version was used earlier?

AirPrint as such should work without additional software, but some HP printers may need an HP Smart app for setup and ink management. Are you using HP Smart on the Mac or the iPhone?

Device detection/discovery issues may in fact be related to the Wi-Fi router. Have you tried the power-cycle sequence in my previous message? Also, have you tried resetting the printing system on the Mac according to the previously mentioned article?

Dec 2, 2022 7:57 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Hi It’s a hp5258 office jet. Which worked fine printing from the computer u til the last Mac update. I have a connection and everything with my phone but all of a sudden it won’t work with my computer any more. The guy for support was awful and rude. Said I need to keep shutting things down on my printer and reboot. Wrong answer. First guy I talked to after an hour got it to print but as soon as I hung up with him I tried to print again and nothing. Really disappointed In Apple support. Never used to be like this! It’s clearly a MacBook issue.

Lost connection of printer to MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.