Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The “recents” album in pictures inconvenience

Good day. I’m an artist. I have many different albums in my pictures: “social media”, “content”, “research” and the list goes on. I also take many screenshots with needed info. Most of the time I remember to go to my “recents” album and move images to needed folders, but I don’t always have time to sort them. As a result there is NO WAY for me to remember which ones I didn’t file and to find something I took a picture or a screen shot of days or weeks or months ago, I have to go through thousands of pictures and waste endless time. This is very user unfriendly. Just like a pile of files on my desk, after I file them into a proper cabinet, the pile on my desk lessens and I can clearly see what I’m yet to file and I can easily find what I need in a proper cabinet. Why isn’t there the same logical filing method for your images on IPhone in 2022? I mean everyone has been complaining about this for years and nothing is being done. Why isn’t there an option to “show only unfiled images in recents”??

Posted on Dec 2, 2022 4:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2022 2:06 AM

Hi yelena165,

what macOS version are you currently using on your computer?

The multiple macOS version have Smart Albums, they can do what you are asking for.

Create Smart Albums to group photos automatically in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

A setting like this would show only screenshots that are not linked to at least one album.

The album Recents will always contain all photos, there is no option to remove a photos from this album.

But Smart Album will help with your task.

I have multiple smart albums that I use for sorting photos in albums.

I check for photos that are not linked to any album and also if they have GPS information.

Hope this will solve your question, please let me know if this worked for you or if something in unclear.

Regards Ralf

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2022 2:06 AM in response to yelena165

Hi yelena165,

what macOS version are you currently using on your computer?

The multiple macOS version have Smart Albums, they can do what you are asking for.

Create Smart Albums to group photos automatically in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

A setting like this would show only screenshots that are not linked to at least one album.

The album Recents will always contain all photos, there is no option to remove a photos from this album.

But Smart Album will help with your task.

I have multiple smart albums that I use for sorting photos in albums.

I check for photos that are not linked to any album and also if they have GPS information.

Hope this will solve your question, please let me know if this worked for you or if something in unclear.

Regards Ralf

Dec 3, 2022 7:30 PM in response to Yer_Man

Well, technically “photos” on my MacBook is the same thing as “recents” on my IPhone. It has every picture, screenshot, video. And “albums” on MacBook is the same thing as the albums with filed images on my iPhone. Why can’t it be resolved to having one album on both that keeps unfiled images, screenshots, videos only. It doesn’t make any sense. So frustrating being lost in 16000 pictures and not knowing what was filed and what wasn’t. At least if every image in “recents” or “photos” had a little mark under it with the name of the file it’s in, I would know which ones are filed where and which ones need to be filed. We should be past such inconvenient basic issues. :( Sorry, it’s just very frustrating. And everyone has the same issue with no resolution in sight.

The “recents” album in pictures inconvenience

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.