Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Smart playlist based on ratings does not work properly when transferring them to iPhone

You can rate your songs in two ways on your MacOS Apple Music:

• You can rate song by song; or
    • You can choose to rate by album

Previously I used create my TOP Playlist based upon ratings higher than 3 stars (4 or 5 stars), and was working fine. But today I created a new smart playlist, and on that I had a new album I just purchased, so before I could rate it, I chose to rate the whole album 4 stars (see picture 1),

as it would transfer to my iPhone, then I would listen to all songs and finally provide a more deeper review of the individual songs. For my surprise only a single song was transferred to my iPhone. This is the smart playlist I created (see image below):

I was trying to understand the reason it was not working and kept listening to the songs and marked the first song as 5 stars, and for my surprise it got transferred to the iPhone correctly. So I individually marked each song as 4 stars and the issue was resolved.

For some reason marking the album as 4 stars, and even though it shows all the songs as 4 stars, the smart playlist does not work properly when transferring it to the mobile devices.

Anyone else is facing this problem?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Dec 3, 2022 8:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2022 9:31 AM

See Handling grey stars - Apple Community for some background. Auto ratings may not necessarily be interpreted as you expect them to be. Album ratings and track ratings are not the same thing. Track ratings can generate album auto ratings, and vice versa. In practice it seems it may be best to use either track ratings, or album ratings, but not both.

tt2

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2022 9:31 AM in response to Leandro_Brazil

See Handling grey stars - Apple Community for some background. Auto ratings may not necessarily be interpreted as you expect them to be. Album ratings and track ratings are not the same thing. Track ratings can generate album auto ratings, and vice versa. In practice it seems it may be best to use either track ratings, or album ratings, but not both.

tt2

Smart playlist based on ratings does not work properly when transferring them to iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.