Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reset user info on iPad

Hi I inherited an iPad from my mother in law who’s now deceased. When she had it she never completed setting it up but she logged in with an Apple ID and password. I want to sign her out and sign in with my Apple ID. No matter what I try the iPad insists I enter a password I don’t have. I requested a reset link but it is going to a cell phone no longer in service. I got a verification code to her email and entered it but now I’m told it may take days….is there another way to simply restart this like it’s never belonged to anyone?

see screen shots

Thank you IA

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Personal Information]

Posted on Dec 3, 2022 10:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2022 10:59 AM

You have encountered Activation Lock. The only way to have it removed is to log into the iPad with the Apple ID and password used to activate it. Since she passed, there is a way for you to request her Apple ID information. See this. How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple account - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2022 10:59 AM in response to Pburgess627

You have encountered Activation Lock. The only way to have it removed is to log into the iPad with the Apple ID and password used to activate it. Since she passed, there is a way for you to request her Apple ID information. See this. How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple account - Apple Support

Reset user info on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.