Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can no longer open alternate Photo libraries

I created a secondary Photos library as a way to archive older photos to "cold storage". Since the last MacOS patch (Big Sur 11.3), I can no longer open this secondary library. Thought that I might be an issue with my external drive, so I tried creating a new library, on the local drive in the same folder, using the same method, previously employed and I receive the same error message when attempting to open. Mind you, newly created, empty library on local hard drive, will not open:

I found the solution to the above issue!! If I copy my alternate photos library to the same folder where my system library is stored (/Users/username/Pictures), it opens without issue. If I move it to any other location, even a folder within the above named folder, I get the same error message above.

Apple should update documentation clarifying this limitation/requirement.

Posted on Dec 3, 2022 6:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2022 9:27 AM

Sorry nobody had caught that before--it comes up from time to time. Apple says "Make sure that your external storage device, such as a USB drive or Thunderbolt drive, is formatted for Mac: either APFS format or Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format." I'm puzzled, though, by your original statement, "I tried creating a new library, on the local drive in the same folder" You were doing great trouble-shooting.

Unfortunately, the more complicated apps get (and Photos is pretty complicated) the more they depend on having familiar formatting.

I got my Apple quote from

Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2022 9:27 AM in response to jerelware

Sorry nobody had caught that before--it comes up from time to time. Apple says "Make sure that your external storage device, such as a USB drive or Thunderbolt drive, is formatted for Mac: either APFS format or Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format." I'm puzzled, though, by your original statement, "I tried creating a new library, on the local drive in the same folder" You were doing great trouble-shooting.

Unfortunately, the more complicated apps get (and Photos is pretty complicated) the more they depend on having familiar formatting.

I got my Apple quote from

Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Dec 4, 2022 12:21 AM in response to jerelware

I'm not sure Apple need to update anything in the documentation as I can create and open libraries both on my HD, Desktop and external disks.

What is clear from your screenshot is that Photos thinks that you're trying to open a Library from a Time Machine back up, which is not possible without restoring that. Could that be the issue?

Dec 5, 2022 7:41 AM in response to Yer_Man

No, that has never been the issue. Initially, the issue is that I moved a large number of photos to a separate library, stored on an external hard drive (HPFS formatted). After upgrading to 11.3, I was no longer able to open these libraries.

I later discovered that if I copied them to my local hard drive (above specified location), they opened without issue. BUT, if I create a folder and move them into the folder, the issue returns.

When I started this practice, I did not have the internal storage capacity to keep all photos locally. Now that I'm not AS constrained on storage, I tried the above experiment and discovered that I can open the photos library, that generates the error above when stored on an external HDD.

Can no longer open alternate Photo libraries

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.