Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i just purchased a new iphone 14 pro max and I cannot connect to wifi anywhere outside of my home. What is the problem?

I just purchased a brand new iphone 14 Pro max and am getting ready to go out of town but I cannot connect to wifi anywhere outside of my home. I cannot connect in my car, either. What is the problem and how do I fix it?

iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Dec 4, 2022 7:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2022 8:45 AM

Above reply is correct.

For more general Wi-Fi connection info:

Connect to Wi-Fi on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If your iPhone or iPad won't connect to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support

Outside of whatever carrier Wi-Fi networks might be offered to you (where available, and those networks can be “captive”, as mentioned above), you’ll need a Wi-Fi network password for whatever Wi-Fi you want to connect to. this including needing a password and network name for any in-vehicle Wi-Fi networks.

For connecting an infotainment system in a personal vehicle, a Bluetooth connection (and potentially CarPlay, where the infotainment system supports that) is more typical, and not a Wi-Fi connection.

Set up and use Bluetooth accessories on iPhone - Apple Support

If you can't connect a Bluetooth accessory to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Use CarPlay with your iPhone - Apple Support

If this is all familiar territory to you (and it may well be, of course), and if the above Wi-Fi troubleshooting doesn’t get you connected to the local Wi-Fi networks where you have access credentials, including connecting to any in-vehicle Wi-Fi network, contact Apple Support. Use the Support link in the lower left corner of this webpage.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 4, 2022 8:45 AM in response to Gabbiegrace1125

Above reply is correct.

For more general Wi-Fi connection info:

Connect to Wi-Fi on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If your iPhone or iPad won't connect to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support

Outside of whatever carrier Wi-Fi networks might be offered to you (where available, and those networks can be “captive”, as mentioned above), you’ll need a Wi-Fi network password for whatever Wi-Fi you want to connect to. this including needing a password and network name for any in-vehicle Wi-Fi networks.

For connecting an infotainment system in a personal vehicle, a Bluetooth connection (and potentially CarPlay, where the infotainment system supports that) is more typical, and not a Wi-Fi connection.

Set up and use Bluetooth accessories on iPhone - Apple Support

If you can't connect a Bluetooth accessory to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Use CarPlay with your iPhone - Apple Support

If this is all familiar territory to you (and it may well be, of course), and if the above Wi-Fi troubleshooting doesn’t get you connected to the local Wi-Fi networks where you have access credentials, including connecting to any in-vehicle Wi-Fi network, contact Apple Support. Use the Support link in the lower left corner of this webpage.

Dec 4, 2022 8:11 AM in response to Gabbiegrace1125

When you are outside Home you use Public Wi-Fi, see this Apple article: Use captive Wi-Fi networks on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch -> Use captive Wi-Fi networks on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support (UK)

Nowadays, Public Wi-Fi is offered for free, in big cities, shopping centers, in Public Transport (bus & train), airport, hotels, restaurants and others.

That depends on where you live.

If at the moment you are away from home and there is no Public Wi-Fi, you have to use Mobile Data, for sure go to -> Settings -> Mobile network -> Mobile Data -> ON.

Dec 4, 2022 10:23 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence Finch wrote:

In addition to what has been posted, Wi-Fi has a range of about 150 feet. So you need to be really near to a Wi-Fi network that you are authorized to use, and it will never work if you are moving. For that you need cellular data.

A clarification of some details that might cause some confusion:

Lawrence Finch is referring to using a home’s or organization’s Wi-Fi network from a distance exceeding the coverage range of a particular Wi-Fi network. Within that Wi-Fi network coverage range, using that Wi-Fi mobile can and does work, all based on coverage details. (e.g. the network administrator will need to configure and use access points and not routers, for coverage requirements beyond that of one Wi-Fi router.)

In-vehicle Wi-Fi networks can and do work while mobile too, and those mobile Wi-Fi networks will usually use cellular data or sometimes satellite communications for the internet connection for that Wi-Fi network. This when a Wi-Fi network is available within a car, truck, bus, airplane, or ship.

(I see a whole bunch of mobile Wi-Fi networks in vehicles traveling past, showing up in the local Wi-Fi network logs.)

i just purchased a new iphone 14 pro max and I cannot connect to wifi anywhere outside of my home. What is the problem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.